Flush mount control box

Was told that to use a 4 stroke engine requires a 4 stroke flush mount control box. OK, so what is the difference of a 2 stroke & a 4 stroke flush mount control box?
    Thanks

Nobody knows......

3. Member
    By control box do you mean the "hidden" side mount shift and throttle? If so, there's no difference at all. I just repowered from a 2001 ox-66 to a new SHO and only had to change the tach.

Yeah Mc......friend of mine has a 2 stroke , HPDI, & going to a SHO. Dealer told him he would have to change controls ( flush side mount) & wiring harness. I did the same as you, 2 strike to 4 stroke. I didn't know about the tach so what is the tach change? BTW, never heard from Rubex. Emailed them 3 times. Great customer service, huh?

5. Member
    I changed the tach because I was told my older one didn't have the right dip switch setting on the back for 4-stroke (different number of pulses than 2-stroke). The new Yamaha one also has the low oil and overheat lights in it. FYI, I bought my new SHO still in the crate and rigged myself. The original main wiring harness is the same (10-pin connector at engine). I bought a new cable for the tach/idiot light combination since the connectors were different. I could have frigged around with the connectors, but felt better with the correct cable and it wasn't expensive. Unless the HPDI wiring is different than ox-66 and SHO, I don't see any real problem for your friend. If you want I can dig up the Yamaha rigging charts I had that give part numbers, etc. to compare. And ya, I also emailed Rubex/Solas twice with no response, so I won't go that route with no customer service...

6. Member
    There is no difference. The control box neither knows nor cares to know to what kind of motor it is connected.

Thanks Mc & Yam. You guys are great.

Had the opportunity to be with my friend when he picked up his boat & new motor. So asked the dealer what was the difference with the 2 & 4 stroke flush mounts. He said the 4 stroke (SHO) has more alarms & such & the 2 stroke harness won't connect to all of them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Had the opportunity to be with my friend when he picked up his boat & new motor. So asked the dealer what was the difference with the 2 & 4 stroke flush mounts. He said the 4 stroke (SHO) has more alarms & such & the 2 stroke harness won't connect to all of them.
    Dealer is confusing the control box with (a) the audible alarm system and/or (b) the visual warning system.

The audible alarms are the same for a two or a four stroke. Warning horn for low oil quantity (two stroke) or pressure (four stroke) and a warning for over temperature. The warning sound is the same. Same horn. It is on or it is off. It does not beep.

The audible alarm is connected to the key switch. Not the control box.

The visual alarms are part of the tachometer. Not the control box.

The harness from the motor to the tachometer is different depending upon the year of the motor. It is not a two stroke versus four stroke difference.

Run no gauges at all and you still have the audible warning horn.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Dealer is confusing the control box with (a) the audible alarm system and/or (b) the visual warning system.

The audible alarms are the same for a two or a four stroke. Warning horn for low oil quantity (two stroke) or pressure (four stroke) and a warning for over temperature. The warning sound is the same. Same horn. It is on or it is off. It does not beep.

The audible alarm is connected to the key switch. Not the control box.

The visual alarms are part of the tachometer. Not the control box.

The harness from the motor to the tachometer is different depending upon the year of the motor. It is not a two stroke versus four stroke difference.

Run no gauges at all and you still have the audible warning horn.

I believe Yam911 is absolutely correct ...Anyway, sounds like it's already been rigged, so hope your friend enjoys the new SHO. I absolutely love mine.

I hope so too. I also believe Yam is correct. I don't have any problems with mine. I did ask the guy how could you tell one from the other. He said "you just have to look at it". Well that cleared that up for me.
    Will be getting mine back sometime this week. Will be glad to go fishing again.