Mackeral cooking suggestions

Went down to the gulf 2 weeks ago, and went fishing. We've got some King and Spanish mackeral filets, and I'm not sure what do with them. The guide said its great smoked, and make a dip out of it. So that's one plan. What else can I do with it? I know its not the best eating fish. I can fry it to, but looking for other recipes.

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    A foil pouch with butter, lemon, salt & pepper on the grill or oven usually does a nice job on fish filets.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    A foil pouch with butter, lemon, salt & pepper on the grill or oven usually does a nice job on fish filets.
    Simple is always the best, right?

4. Member
    We use to catch them frequently...you will find them to be very "fishy" tasting...I would suggest making only a smoked fish dip...

5. Banned
    We grilled some up one time with salt/pepper lemon whatever you like. Left the skin on and grilled them skin down. They were a little fishy, it they were good enough to eat.

6. Member
    King can be grilled or baked. Some use Italian dressing as a basting sauce. The only way I eat spanish is to catch, clean and fry the same day. They are a oily fish with a strong taste that it is not very good after they have been frozen then thawed.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

7. Member
    King is a pretty terrible tasting fish if you go simple. I brought some back from a gulf trip 2 years ago. At the suggestion of my guide I Smoked the King then made Smoked fish dip. It was absolutely amazing.

Google Smoked king fish and Smoked King fish dip. You will find numerous recipes, all of which are pretty similar.

8. Member
    soak in water for 20 minutes rinse and repeat then your favorite grilling sauce (coat) then grill on cedar plank (like they do salmon) for 10 minutesthen eat plank and throw out fish

9. Member
    That was my recipe for carp back when I lived in Ohio!!! Funny but so true Mark!!!!