Thread: Oneida

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    weights must have been pretty good in this weekends tournament as know of a guy that had 17 plus and was only maybe 5th.

2. Member
    im no expert by any means,but my theory,15-20years ago 15-16lbs would win you money every time,and you would catch them all day,i don't belive it is the fishing pressure,i believe it is the change in the forage, so for years they were bait fish orientated,birds diving ,fish busting, wolf packs of smallies it was amazing ,with the introduction of the goby,there not in schools busting the bait like they used to, there just cruising around feeding wherever,with that being said you better have 18-20lbs to think about winning any tx now days,so with that being said something did change,dont know if my theory is right or wrong ,but I almost got myself talked into it

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ammot23 View Post
    im no expert by any means,but my theory,15-20years ago 15-16lbs would win you money every time,and you would catch them all day,i don't belive it is the fishing pressure,i believe it is the change in the forage, so for years they were bait fish orientated,birds diving ,fish busting, wolf packs of smallies it was amazing ,with the introduction of the goby,there not in schools busting the bait like they used to, there just cruising around feeding wherever,with that being said you better have 18-20lbs to think about winning any tx now days,so with that being said something did change,dont know if my theory is right or wrong ,but I almost got myself talked into it
    I believe your theory is solid for oneida....just heard 20.17 won this weekend. I do think the tournament pressure and early tournaments are having an effect however, if you ever have seen the fish kill of big smallies at those tournaments you would agree.

4. Member
    i have not witnessed fish kill that sucks,did not realize that,,i thought they were doing a good job with the release boat and tending to the fish

5. Member
    Fished the tournament this weekend, 20lbs won, two bags of 19, one bag of 17lb then I had almost 17 think I was top 5... Some guys said they never got a bite, the guy that got second or third said they played them. I know personal we hammered them, caught probably 15 culled 6 times. For 4 footers on most of the lake we stayed on one half mile strip with the same drift and got bit almost every drift all on A rig. Had an almost 5lb largemouth (think he got lost) but we had a lot of football sallies destroy the rig. Thinking of going out again this week it was so easy and they CRUSH the rig. Oh and big bass was 5.51 and then there was another one almost 5 then mine which was just under 5 so some monsters out there not including a bunch of 4's that guys weighed
    IMG_4453.jpeg
    AFTCO
    Picasso Lures
    Vicious Line
    Denali Rods
    RedTail Optix
    RedTail Republic
    https://www.facebook.com/KyleMetzgerFishing

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captk88 View Post
    Fished the tournament this weekend, 20lbs won, two bags of 19, one bag of 17lb then I had almost 17 think I was top 5... Some guys said they never got a bite, the guy that got second or third said they played them. I know personal we hammered them, caught probably 15 culled 6 times. For 4 footers on most of the lake we stayed on one half mile strip with the same drift and got bit almost every drift all on A rig. Had an almost 5lb largemouth (think he got lost) but we had a lot of football sallies destroy the rig. Thinking of going out again this week it was so easy and they CRUSH the rig. Oh and big bass was 5.51 and then there was another one almost 5 then mine which was just under 5 so some monsters out there not including a bunch of 4's that guys weighed
    IMG_4453.jpeg
    Nice job, sounds like a blast (minus the waves)

7. Member
    The thing is 3 or 4 years ago in October nobody would ever say they hammered them when they caught 15 Fish. We weighed in 21lbs in a fall cashion and caught 50 to 60 that day all over 3lbs. The numbers aren't there. 3 years of having a spring post spawn cashion/bass open/bfl. Killed so many fish it's insane. Then followed it up with a massive kill or large smallies that I have 100s of pictures of from last year due to 2 months of water over 81 degrees

I used to be all aboard the let's have every tournament train but now I wish they would all leave the lake alone especially in the post spawn. You can talk about forage all you want. I go out and graph bait for hours. The fish aren't eating gobies exclusively. That's everybody's favorite thing to say about oneida but they are still chasing the same forage they always have there just aren't the large numbers of 3 pounders to school up like their used to be. Bass and flw greed is to blame

8. Member
    Out at port bay last weekend . Slow start but afternoon bite was crazy . 30 + were caught .. from 2+. Up to 4 +. Was a good day overall .. water temp was 54..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

9. Member
    You fellas are getting on em now. Great work!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Out at port bay last weekend . Slow start but afternoon bite was crazy . 30 + were caught .. from 2+. Up to 4 +. Was a good day overall .. water temp was 54..
    You just fishing the bay for LM?
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

11. Member
    Heading up tomorrow morning for the weekend...hopefully the fishing has picked up????

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy10 View Post
    Heading up tomorrow morning for the weekend...hopefully the fishing has picked up????
    let us know

13. Member
    Yes just in bay .

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

14. Member
    TERRIBLE.... all i got to say

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    TERRIBLE.... all i got to say
    really?

16. Member
    Yes

Threw everything and looked everywhere from the river to the east end of the lake.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Yes

Threw everything and looked everywhere from the river to the east end of the lake.
    guess ill go somewhere else tomorrow

18. Member
    I ain't no Oneida expert but caught them pretty good here other times....got here yesterday, leaving friday and sucking wind..considering dynamite...

19. Banned
    Man guess I'll just wait till spring, hopefully they are hungry by then.

20. Member
    Feel for ya fellas, it's humbled me before. It'll be back better than ever here no time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast