Banned

Getting a Boat Trailer Titled

Bought my boat in Kansas years ago.Moved back to La. got the boat registered at LDWF but they say boat trailer needs to be titled.Well Kansas does not title boat trailers.They told me over phone i need to take it to State Police Headquarters.What will i need to bring with me,this is becoming a hassle having to do all this.

2. Member
    You'll need to trailer the boat to the nearest State Police district office. They will inspect to make sure everything works properly. They will then issue a serial number or use the one stamped on the trailer and you take this paper to the DMV to pay the taxes and receive your registration.

3. Member
    You should have made bill of sale at the time of the sale with the vin on it. Bring the bill of sale and the trailer to the state police and ask for a physical inspection. They make sure the vin on the trailer matches the vin on the bill of sale. Bring all your paperwork to the dmv, pay your taxes, and get your registration. Go to one of the private title companies. State police will not stamp a new vin on a factory made trailer.

4. Banned
    Finally got this taken care of I'm now legal.Had to take a trip to the Livonia Police Department to get trailer inspected by the Chief.Then had to get a new bill of sale for trailer.Could have got it done sooner but been hunting.

5. Member
    How did u go bout getting new bill of sale? I have one from when I bought my boat but they didn’t title boat trailers in Texas. All I got was bill of sale for it and Louisiana’s dmv was zero help

6. Banned
    I had to get the owner who I bought from in Kansas to redo the bill of sale for me,Bill of sale for boat and Bill of sale for trailer.When I nought boat it was 1 Bill of Sale so I was going to get taxed on selling price of boat,which was way too much.Had to itemize it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    I had to get the owner who I bought from in Kansas to redo the bill of sale for me,Bill of sale for boat and Bill of sale for trailer.When I nought boat it was 1 Bill of Sale so I was going to get taxed on selling price of boat,which was way too much.Had to itemize it.
    I have bill of sale for each. So that’s a little easier

8. Member
    Don't go to the DMV. Use a private title agency. DMV workers get paid the same if the help you or not. Private agencies have to help you to get paid.