Thinking of buying a used 199 Alpha...

I am thinking of buying a used 199 Alpha. Found one in Texas that I like, but I do not know a whole lot about the Legend boats. How does the 199 perform with a ProXS 225? Is there anything in particular that I should look for when looking the boat over, any problem areas.

If any of you own a 199, what is your opinion of the boat?

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Member
    I had a 199 for 7 years no problems plenty of room once I took the passenger console out. it is a good rough water boat at time I wish I had it instead of my 211r. it gets around better in the trees and will go a bit shallower.

3. Member
    Thanks Montgomery,

What kind of speeds did you see with the 199? How was the holeshot and overall performance with a 225?

4. Member
    The 199 will run 68-70 consistently with dual poles. Hole shot is quick and boat is very easy to drive.

I've got a 199. I love it. No poles but my boat has done 73mph. It handles rough water better than most any other boat. I've even been on lake Michigan with it and I've never speared a wave in it. Honestly if I was going to buy a new boat today I have know idea what I'd buy because I love this boat so much.

6. Member
    Love mine. 2016 Alpha 199DC, 225 Pro XS with twin poles. Runs about 70-73mph with a decent load of gear, 24v Ultrex, 1/2 tank of fuel. 24P Fury. Holeshot is great, handles excellent. Runs about 68-70 with two people, and the same load of gear. Amazing bot, fit and finish is excellent. Any questions or help needed, just ask.

7. Member
    2008 199 225 opti 25 pitch fury 3 blade 2 guys with tournament load i see 60-65 but better holeshot than 26 pitch tempest prop ive had it 74 by myself with the 26

2013 199 sc 225 proxs
    echo what most have said. I will say that they don't carry the weight as well as a bigger boat - in that, small increases in weight can have a bigger impact on performance. I've had mine up to 72 - dual poles, 24v motor guide, group 27 cranking battery.

Now i have a 36v ultrex (group 31 batteries) and a 31 agm cranking battery - at least 200-250lbs heavier. I might get up to mid upper 60s. some of that is prop wear also i'm sure. Still gets up on plane quick and does well in the rough stuff. unlike some boats, it will run into waves a lot more comfortably than with them. softest riding boat i've ever been, never slams/shudders/shakes, extremely solid ride in all conditions.

rod lockers are a tad short if you have a lot of 7'6" rods, but i still manage to carry 18-20 rods with several 8'.

i don't think they make a boat that even comes close to the fit/finish/quality of a legend, only boat i'd consider better would be a 211.