Thread: Charger 203

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    They are figuring out how to have the deep V and be stable while fishing. That's the problem with boats like the 203, both people move to one side and it will tip over. Boats like the 210 and Phoenix are stable while fishing but chew up rough water with that good hull shape
    The narrower (90 and 86 inch) beam Champs will NOT "tip over" if both folks go to the same side. They are "tippier" than the wider beams, but where did you ever get the idea they would tip over?

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Didn’t they almost tip over Guam!!!

3. Banned
    That was just a nasty rumor... Dan

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    ... That's the problem with boats like the 203, both people move to one side and it will tip over.
    You put 2 people on the same side of any boat, it's going to list some. Back when I had my 201 Elite, I fished with a buddy on occasion that had a 97 Ranger 492VS that would list about as much as the 201 did when we both fished from the same side.

5. Member
    I gotta be honest. I don’t understand this 203 tippy narrow beam thing guys are worried about.

i have a wide beam Triton now, and my narrow beam 203 was significantly more stable... driving and sitting still. Doesn’t matter.. and my best friend still has his 206 and the 203 was only a slightly more prone to leaning.

i will say that I think this “tip over thing” people are talking about might hafto do with in proper operator actions during conditions on the trolling motor. example, steering into the wind/ waves instead of fighting them sideways with a constant swinging boat etc.

6. Member
    I am sure the tippy part is also from fuel slosh since the tank is pretty much full width of the hull. Lower the center of gravity by dropping it down and put it under the floor and turn it to run the centerline of the boat instead of side to side. Problem solved. Deck isn't much narrower than bass cat pantera. My brother had a champ 168 and then later a 190. Even the 168 was a smoother drier ride than alot of 18-19' moats of that time, and I would have put the 190 against any other manufacture of bass boats for ride comfort and being dry at the end of the day. Not the fastest hulls out till you put some chop on the water then everyone else was running behind the champ prop wash. I fish big lakes like Sam Rayburn and Toldeo bend where you have to run boat lanes and cant always turn the boat to approach the waves in ideal ways. If you look at a phoenix hull it is some kind of modified wedge with alot of bow lift so it rides good in rough stuff and with the bow lift is fast when conditions are right.

I wish the 203 would be more of a stripped down version to keep price down and allow the buyer to only add what they want.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The tippy feel is from the v hull all the way to the stern and no rear sponsons.Its not that it’s a skinny boat just the nature of the beast.Ranger ,Charger,basscat and a few others are flatter at the rear half of the hull which gives you a lot more bottom in the water from side to side .The 210 is a different hull in the rear than that of the champions of the past.My Buddy just bought a Cajun and that thing has the very deep V of the champions not the most stable boat but does seem to ride good.
    Charger took their hull design from a Skeeter/Champion from years back and married it to the likes of a Ranger butt that way you got the wave cutting hull with a hull that would trap some air and run good with great stability at rest.

Not a simple as moving fuel cells. They tried it in a limited run in 07 or 08. Rear tank 203's preform better than belly tank 203's. Going to be interesting to see what Charger ends up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
    I am sure the tippy part is also from fuel slosh since the tank is pretty much full width of the hull. Lower the center of gravity by dropping it down and put it under the floor and turn it to run the centerline of the boat instead of side to side. Problem solved. Deck isn't much narrower than bass cat pantera. My brother had a champ 168 and then later a 190. Even the 168 was a smoother drier ride than alot of 18-19' moats of that time, and I would have put the 190 against any other manufacture of bass boats for ride comfort and being dry at the end of the day. Not the fastest hulls out till you put some chop on the water then everyone else was running behind the champ prop wash. I fish big lakes like Sam Rayburn and Toldeo bend where you have to run boat lanes and cant always turn the boat to approach the waves in ideal ways. If you look at a phoenix hull it is some kind of modified wedge with alot of bow lift so it rides good in rough stuff and with the bow lift is fast when conditions are right.

I wish the 203 would be more of a stripped down version to keep price down and allow the buyer to only add what they want.

9. Member
    Well, the whole rear deck layout and all has to be addressed in order to accommodate modern rigging i.e. 4 batteries, duel power pole pumps, perko switches, and a 4 bank or two two bank charger. I had to do a lot of finagling to get all that in my 187 which has the same rear as the 203. I am forced to use sealed batteries as i would not be able to refill standard batteries with water.

I am interested to see what they come up with. I would hate to see the underseat storage and cooler go away. I have yet to see a boat with a better built in cooler than a champion.
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I would totally miss my under seat storage

11. Member
    Not excited about losing my underseat storage at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle pirate 198 View Post
    I know a 203 is narrower. I didn’t know if they would keep it like it is or try to make it alittle wider. Even if it’s a wider beam but the original length it would be right in between the 198 and 210. It will eat the rough water and fly with a 250. They announced at the champ/charger tourney yesterday that was there next project

Narrow=Faster and eats rough water. The industry trend has been wider, more stable at rest hulls. Will people buy a narrow hull boat anymore? The 203 is an awesome boat but would you buy a new one compared to what’s out now?
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    No ^^^ if I was upgrading it would be 797 or 521 or Phoenix 21 or ballistic 223 etc.Something wide and long.Thats just me and some may like the skinnier hulls.

14. Banned
    Why would you go narrow for speed and rough water ride when you can get as much speed and better ride out of a wide hull? I agree with TOC upgrade is going to be long and wide 797 or Ballistic 223 or their 204 that is coming out soon.

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar

16. Banned
    So....nothing else to talk about like a ghost town here most the time.

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    True ...

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    until 2 more weeks when the 203 is done it’s pretty boring around winter .

19. Banned
    2 more weeks

20. Member
    Any updates or specs

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast