Thread: Charger 203

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    If they knew anything it wouldn't be a pad at all. They might have something if it was a 1976 version of the 16'8" rated for a 200hp with an old-school Champion emblem. All Champion....not this splash and remix crap.

If that's true, and I hope it is, they'd be better off with a later model 86 inch beam 16'8, 17'6 or 18'4 Champ. The real early ones were dogs out of the hole until they lifted the transom a few inches and pushed the console forward a several inches to offset the weight of the engine and 20 gallon fuel cell. They sold a bunch to Japan when they were in Mt. Home.

Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    Heard a rumor that Charger is desperately seeking a good condition, mid 70’s Champion 17’ pad hull boat to splash.
    Seems that whole American retro look is all the rage in Japan.

3. Banned
    1986 18 SuperV w/175 build them light-n-dry would be my vote. But my opinion biased best all around boat I ever owned. Big enough to handle very rough water and ran faster then a lot of bigger boats. Loved the look on guys faces when a 175 passed their 200 or 225.

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    My 170 with a 150 would pass all but the big 75 plus boats back in the day.It was a solid 68-70 boat .But I would not go back to it after owning the 596 .The only really thing I mis is fishing be hind docks with it .

Heres something I haven’t seen anywhere.

On the 198/210 models, is Charger building these with their 4” thick transoms or the typical 2 1/2 they were originally built with?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    Heres something I haven’t seen anywhere.

On the 198/210 models, is Charger building these with their 4” thick transoms or the typical 2 1/2 they were originally built with?
    Yep! Is that good or bad?

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I was told 4

Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Yep! Is that good or bad?
    I would think better. More is better right?
    Just wondering if the thicker transom made them alter the interior of the hull at the back to compensate.

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I had pics of that area they didn’t change the rear so much but did add another brace across the rear that the 210 needed along with a 4 inch transom.Once tiny pic closed we lost a lot of pics

10. Member
    I was at the factory yesterday and saw the 210s and 198s in various stages of production. They have a bunch of them going through! Besides the 4" thick transom and the added cross brace that TOC mentioned, they also added to the floatation pods in the back corners to hold the extra weight of all the stuff we have to have nowadays.

And the 203 rumors are 100% true.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    I was at the factory yesterday and saw the 210s and 198s in various stages of production. They have a bunch of them going through! Besides the 4" thick transom and the added cross brace that TOC mentioned, they also added to the floatation pods in the back corners to hold the extra weight of all the stuff we have to have nowadays.

And the 203 rumors are 100% true.
    Good to hear they beefed up everything. Still feel the 203 is a waste but wish them luck in sales.

12. Member
    Jarhead, you wouldn't believe it if I told you how the sales are going! I agree with you, really no need for another 20 footer, but apparently it is more of a want than a need!

13. Banned
    Guessing Japan sales?

14. Member
    I don't mean to pry. But I am confused.. Charger is making their version of the splashed 203 with a charger top cap and their touches. So why call the BCB a knock off ?

BCB did their version as a niche boat for a certain market as well. The BCB hybrid is no "knock off". Rick has been working on this for a very long time before they were happy enough with it to bring to market. I know we all like what we like regarding brands, quite frankly BCB did not need to build this hull to sell boats. This hull will not attract the BCB loyal as the performance and handling is quite different.

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Same hull same top cap same consoles the only thing they really changed was the switch panels.The foot rest has a option for side drawers .Nothing really changed on the design of the boat
    Basscat took a puma hull and put a champion running surface on the rear pad.It looks nothing like a cat in the back.
    I have no idea if it is better or worse than a cat original or if it’s better than a champ.

The 203 will be all champions ,haven’t heard if they are changing the consoles or not.

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    TOC, so what you are saying is that charger is doing a 203???

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    That’s the rumor,just another 2 weeks.Where ever the money is what they are building if someone orders a 100 of something Iam sure joe will build it.Dont blame Charger at all if this is what sells build it I would also.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 12-12-2019 at 05:08 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    I have a 203.... i love it probably mostly because its my only 20' boat i've owned. I do love the huge rod locker storage.

But the thing is too narrow man. You put up 10 rods on the front and you feel like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs trying not to step on rod handles and rod guides. And when a huge wake comes its like you are in a canoe! :)

I would choose the 206.. .much wider....

203 is nice but :

the gas tank is directly in back and putting on power poles will put you under water....
    terrible rear storage except for a couple small Igloo cooler size boxes...
    too narrow like i said...

hmmm you are local to me. Hell, I bet you have even been in the same opens on the mohawk against me. Not many 203's around...

I had a white/red 203....I have dual 12' talons on it. Never had a problem with the ass sitting in the water. If anything, those talons helped that boat more. The added rear weight really help lift the bow under full power...although I did have positive 5* wedges, and a croxton tempest 26, that boat still ran 69-70 on a fully loaded tourney load.

does yours happen to be green with a evinrude?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheatham200 View Post
    If they are really going to do this they need to make it a rear tank model.
    correct.

handled better and was faster.

20. Member
    I dont think the 203 is a waste. It will be a great hit. The 198 and 210 are wide beams. 203 is not. My best friend has a 206. I had the 203. We were always in my 203, never the 206. I spent some time driving that 206 too. I dialed the jackplate in, put my worked tempest on their, etc. Nice boat, but you cant compare the handling or speed of it to the 203. Some guys prefer the narrow beam, others wide. I myself, prefer the 203 over a wide body. I ate up some serious waves on champlain many times with that boat, and walked just about every boat brand you can come up with...when it got rough out there. fun boat to drive.

now im in a rocket triton thats made of plastic ha

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast