Three days on Guntersville

A buddy and I took off and spent a long weekend fishing down there. The grass fishing wasn’t up to par just yet, but we still had a good time. My SC gage says I burned 7 gallons of fuel over three days. Sometimes I wonder why I ever wanted a big motor? I guess it’s all relative. The Ultrex simply makes fishing sooooo much nicer that words don’t do it justice. We had wind everyday with temps dropping 20+ degrees over the weekend.

Running big water in the wind is the RT’s Achilles Heel. I covered a lot of water the first day looking, you will get wet. You have to go slow. There was at least two big tournaments on the lake so it was common to see a big glitter sled go cruising by.

The guy that was with me knows less than nothing about boats. He was drooling all over a Ranger 521 in a parking lot. In the room he asked how much one of those cost? I looked a couple up and watched him stroke out at the 70,000 price tag. He has a PhD in Economics...the ensuing conversation was entertaining.

He told me when it’s time it needed to float and have a reliable motor. All the rest could be added on. All I could say was different strokes. It can be entertaining to take someone out who really is new to bass fishing. The stuff they come up to ask about makes you think.

The best fishing of the weekend came when a huge school of big white bass came up around us....whooohooo was that a blast!

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Running big water in the wind is the RT’s Achilles Heel.
    I would agree with this.

Other than that how did she perform out there on the big water? What kind of waves were you dealing with 2-3'...?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Member
    Probably 2’ers she did ok other than getting us wet from time too time from the spray. You just have to go slow and take your time, about 25 mph.

I was on G'ville on Saturday for a club tournament. There were a lot of RTs, Trackers and a few Triton tins. All were going slow and it looked a little painful. I was in my buddies old 20' Stratos. It was bouncy for us too. It was a busy day of the lake and a great test of any tin boat!

We found plenty of fish but nothing big. Most were either on main-lake rocky points or back in creeks chasing shad. My buddy HATES pitching grass mats so we did not do that. I love that way of fishing but it was his boat so it was his way.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    The first day was tougher than a two dollar steak for us 06...we put in at RoseBerry and ended up running from there to Comer Bridge and then all the way down to South Saulty looking for grass mats. I figured out the fish were mainly on the main lake. We spent Saturday in Roseberry trying to get the rat bite going to no avail. Yesterday we braved the 45 degree temps and went back to deeper water and once again found fish. It was a weird weekend of fishing for Oct on Guntersville. We only got one rat fish, the fish just did not seem to have moved up from the deep water yet. Swimming a Zoom Ole Monster was the ticket for the bulk of our fish. Once I found those big ole white bass (there were hybrids mixed in) it was on like donkey kong LOL. Of course they would have been a nuisance for the tournament guys.

We saw a club tournament weighing in out of Roseberry Saturday as we came in about 3:00. It was for sure a busy day on the lake between the big fish guys, the high school tournament and the local tournaments plus all the guys like me just down there enjoying the lake. Glad you guys were able to catch some.

It wasn't all that painful running the lake as long as you took your time.

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Probably 2’ers she did ok other than getting us wet from time too time from the spray. You just have to go slow and take your time, about 25 mph.
    This is my experience as well from my time up on Lake Erie, but, would not in any way dissuade me from choosing an RT or Vexus, etc... Well, on second thought, maybe not a Vexus. In a Vexus my smoking jacket and ascot would get wet, and I would spill my Beaujolais...

BTW - 06 SB - Thank you for your service!
    Supremacy on Land Begins Under the Sea!

Additionally - what is a "rat fish"?
    Last edited by King_Fish; 10-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

7. Member
    A "rat fish" is catching a fish on a frog, normally on the matted grass on Guntersville. We sometimes call them "rats" down here.

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Gotcha…
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

9. Member
    When we had grass on KY Lake, rat fishing was good on up in Nov.
    W/O the grass I would have never thought of fishing top water in Nov.
    LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    A buddy and I took off and spent a long weekend fishing down there. The grass fishing wasn’t up to par just yet, but we still had a good time. My SC gage says I burned 7 gallons of fuel over three days. Sometimes I wonder why I ever wanted a big motor? I guess it’s all relative. The Ultrex simply makes fishing sooooo much nicer that words don’t do it justice. We had wind everyday with temps dropping 20+ degrees over the weekend.

Running big water in the wind is the RT’s Achilles Heel. I covered a lot of water the first day looking, you will get wet. You have to go slow. There was at least two big tournaments on the lake so it was common to see a big glitter sled go cruising by.

The guy that was with me knows less than nothing about boats. He was drooling all over a Ranger 521 in a parking lot. In the room he asked how much one of those cost? I looked a couple up and watched him stroke out at the 70,000 price tag. He has a PhD in Economics...the ensuing conversation was entertaining.

He told me when it’s time it needed to float and have a reliable motor. All the rest could be added on. All I could say was different strokes. It can be entertaining to take someone out who really is new to bass fishing. The stuff they come up to ask about makes you think.

The best fishing of the weekend came when a huge school of big white bass came up around us....whooohooo was that a blast!
    Your buddy would have just freaked out if he'd seen a 522D. I fished out of one on a guided trip this summer on the St. Lawrence. What a ride! Probably cost more than most homes.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    When we had grass on KY Lake, rat fishing was good on up in Nov.
    W/O the grass I would have never thought of fishing top water in Nov.
    LDS
    I’ve caught some of my best smallmouth waking a Long A in November, especially late November on the deep end or Dale Hollow.