Marshal experience / advice.

All,

I am looking for a few to share there experiences or advice for someone wanting to sign up as a marshal for the 1st time. I am excited to (hopefully) participate in an event for the 1st time next year and would greatly appreciate some lessons learned. Without calling out any angers by name, I was wondering if anyone had a negative experience while in the boat. During the course of the day do you more or less just mind to yourself unless the angler is interested in chatting? I obviously don't want to interfere with there chance to make a living. Lastly, (stupid but I have to ask) what about going to the bathroom on the water, (or in the water-lol).

Thank you all.

2. Member
    I have 4 days of marshaling experience. Both FLW Tour events. 2 days in 2017 and 2 more in 2018.

I didn't have any negative experiences. I do feel like you have to have the right mindset and appreciation for the sport in order to do it. I'm going to assume you have those traits since you are signing up to do this. You won't be fishing as you know. You will go to a marshal meeting where the tournament director or designee will cover their expectations. You will have access to them through cell phone and/or I-pad at all times. In general, you can't give your pro any fishing advice or net their fish. You will be told the points of emphasis at your meeting.

Hope you enjoy the experience and get some learning experiences out of it. I know I did.

In regards to bathroom. Just turn your back when in a private cove or when nobody is nearby just like you would any other time. Your pro will do the same thing.

You'll likely be doing a lot of sitting and observing. Just be observant of the temperament of your pro and go along. Some like to talk and interact and others don't so much. I wouldn't take anything personal and just follow what you are instructed to do in the meeting.

3. Banned
    If you need to take a leak go over the side of the boat. For a #2 well wake up plenty early and get it out of your system. Small talk I just see if they are interested but most are pretty focused. Main thing is stay out of the way and be ready to go because they dont mess around when you see then buckling the rods down be in your seat cause they are fixing to fly.

4. Member
    I've done an Elite (2018) and an FLW (2019). I had mixed feelings going into it. Sit and watch? Record estimated weights and blog for BASS/FLW?

Elites were on St. Lawrence River out of Waddington, NY 3 days. Jesse Wiggins, Jordan Lee, and Todd Faircloth. Possibly the 3 nicest guys out there. Good thing Jordan just won 2 Classics because his iPad blew out of the boat.

FLW was the end of this past June out of Plattsburgh 4 days. Scott Ashmore, Ryan Chandler, Kurt Dove, and then..... David Dudley.

I felt organizationally BASS was better with the Marshalls than FLW was. Might be more experience with Marshalls. Better explanations, food, communications. Seemed more appreciative. I am a FLW guy too mind you. Lots of BFLs and Costas.

I learned a lot about smallie fishing that's for sure. Drifting around in the morning or out on the water these guys are no different than guys in our clubs. They talk about each other, have their friends, favorites, and those that are, shall we say, not on their Christmas list. Five of the seven were ON THEM. They were all super friendly and very appreciative for any pictures I took and sent them after. Dudley locked up AOY on day 3 and I was with him on day 4 top 10. He took time time to explain his social media attempts and experiences. They all were more than happy to explain what they were doing and why. They also seem to get it that we were there and why. I asked in the morning where they wanted me when they hooked up and then jumped when they set the hook. I've done lots of Opens and Costas/Everstarts etc as a co-angler. This was different but quite honestly these guys tended to be nicer and more open. I know that I got lucky with these 7. Boat rides- 1 day was bad but Dove handled it well and didn't beat us up too bad. None of them scared me. Again, I know I got lucky. Would I do another one? Maybe.

I'm guessing Sott Ashmore was a nice guy to be in the boat with .

6. Member
    OP. One other thing. If you sign up and make a commitment to marshall, show up and on time. Not that you wouldn't. I don't know you and I'm sure you're reliable.. But every morning there were folks who didn't show and made the tournament crew scramble and also caused all pairings to be changed last minute. It's a day that starts very early. Around 4:30 a.m.

7. Member
    Do it. I rode with Duckett, Fukae, and Vinson, all good people. You will be amazed at how much work they are actually putting in each day of the event. They do not stop casting. Just be prepared with your food, drinks, rain gear, and a life jacket. Well worth doing. I will be signing back up again this year for the Sabine Tournement
    2013 Nitro Z-7 Mercury 150 Pro XS, Fishing on a Budget.

8. Bobby8
    Do it. I have had a blast the last two years. Anglers were great and have never had a badday. Have had great draws being in the boatwith Zaldain, Ashley, Jones, Sr., Cobb, Frazier and Combs.
    Travel light, just bring what you absolutely need. I always sit back and engage the anglers inconversation only when they start it. Enjoyyourself.

9. Member
    I would highly suggest it as well. I was a marshall in a 2019 FLW event. Super nice guys. I would agree with talking only when you feel like they want to talk. I only took 3 bottles of water and a sandwich so travel light. Good luck.