Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    So how is the holeshot with a 28p prop? Seems like it would struggle to jump up?
    Hole shot is excellent. I don't have a scientific measurement. I can get it on plane in 3 seconds maybe? I do get some starboard lean during takeoff. Like I said, these motors are made for larger pitches and diameters. I'm running a 14.25 x 26p 4 blade and believe I'm underpropped. Mark Croxton also recommended a higher diameter and pitch, a 3x16x27.5.

I know the Pro XS is geared 1.85:1 (1.75:1 with torquemaster). My suzuki is geared 2.50:1. That's a hefty difference in gearing, so conventional mercury/yamaha prop estimations go out the window. Theoretically, a larger diameter/pitch prop should improve my holeshot/bite even more.

I'm debating between 3 choices. A 3x16x27.5, a 4x14.25 x 28, or a 3x14.25x28 (found one cheap on ebay). Won't switch it out until I run WOT extensively to get an idea of how much rpm "room" I have. For now, top speed nonwithstanding, the motor performs well. Excellent holeshot, smooth acceleration, and so far I'm getting decent prop slip numbers.

2. Banned
    Cool deal, I used to want a Suzuki and then read that they don’t make a 20” shaft 225hp motor, seems odd not to have one.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Cool deal, I used to want a Suzuki and then read that they don’t make a 20” shaft 225hp motor, seems odd not to have one.
    Probably still trying to break in to the bass boat market. When I bought the boat in South Carolina, I asked the dealer why it was sitting. He said part of it was that area wasn't a hot area for bass boats, the other reason was because everyone down there was strictly Mercury or Yamaha. Of course dealers can be full of shit. If you can run a 250 that would be the route to go. THey're geared a little more friendly (2.08:1). Plenty of people 20/21 footers 70+ with that motor.

Great write up. Don't sweat the gelcoat stuff. After shopping around this past summer I'm convinced ALL brands come from the factory with a small blem or three. Some are harder to see than others but they all had them.

Very fair assessment! What sales guys tell me is Suzukis are available to the smaller builders/dealers. They have a long list waiting for Merc and Yamaha...(and nobody wants an Evinrude )

Great write up. My brother runs a 150 Suk we've played with many props and figured out they can run a 2-4 pitches high than the Mercury's due to the gearing. He's go to prop is a 25M Yamaha but can spin a 27P Yamaha M prop easily.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Very fair assessment! What sales guys tell me is Suzukis are available to the smaller builders/dealers. They have a long list waiting for Merc and Yamaha...(and nobody wants an Evinrude )
    That's exactly what the folks at Falcon said when I talked to them on the phone. They were looking to hook them up with Yamaha's but the wait was too long. Suzuki's were readily available. Not their first choice, but they were impressed with the performance and reliability. Top speed is nice but i'd rather have the first 2 over it.

In regards to Evinrude......I never ran a rude. No experience, not even seat time. All I know is that the coastal people here run Zukes, Hondas, and Yamaha's. Maybe some mercury's but they won't touch an Evinrude. Whether it's from fact, or just reputation, who knows, but I tend to trust their opinion, they run in saltwater and much harder conditions than a typical freshwater bass boat.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    That's exactly what the folks at Falcon said when I talked to them on the phone. They were looking to hook them up with Yamaha's but the wait was too long. Suzuki's were readily available. Not their first choice, but they were impressed with the performance ...........................................Whether it's from fact, or just reputation, who knows, but I tend to trust their opinion, they run in saltwater and much harder conditions than a typical freshwater bass boat.
    Suzukis are loaded with replaceable sacrificial Zinc anodes. They are all over the block itself and in the water jackets. Check it out. I think my 175 has about 7 of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12