Thread: Panfish rods.

robdy72

Panfish rods.

What is everyone's preferred rod length and action for catching crappie and blue gills?

2. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I have them in about every length from 5-10 foot and the rod I have in my hand is usually the 7 ft jenko. Plenty of backbone and the price is great as well. I also like the 10 ft Kevin Rogers rods if i do have to use a longer rod.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

3. Member
    6 to 10 footers for me depending on technique and location.

4. robdy72
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was wanting something good for casting small jigs and also one for jigging brush.

7' ML G Rod for vertical fishing.

10' Bonehead rod for targeting individual fish in timber.

I like a stiffer rod than most. The denser rod transmits light bites better IMO. I have no ultralight rods for that very reason.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    7' ML G Rod for vertical fishing.

10' Bonehead rod for targeting individual fish in timber.

I like a stiffer rod than most. The denser rod transmits light bites better IMO. I have no ultralight rods for that very reason.
    Bonehead makes a excellent rod! I have no need for another crappie rod but I always find myself drooling over the bonehead rods. A buddy of mine owns a tackle shop and he prefers them!
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

I tried the Todd Huckabee...to heavy weight wise. I tried the ACC crappie Stix...too light of action. Same with the Pro Angler. All good rods, just didn't fit me.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Member
    Question on this topic, I’m Looking for a higher end rod for hair jigs and dropshotting for gills and crappie. Something 7-7’6” in probably a light/fast or x fast. Anyone recommend a rod? Looking at the St. Croix Legend Panfish but never been able to hold one.
    Thanks for the tips, hopefully this is in line with the OP’s question.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

9. Member
    If you can't build your own or have a builder you trust then the St Croix Legend Panfish 7 foot Light power fast action would be a top choice. If your budget is smaller there are other choices.

10. Member
    Eyeballs, St Croix is a good rod. If you go Dobyns the 701 is an excellent drop shot rod for crappie.

Robdy72, if your throwing 1/32oz heads a 6'.6" light action with a moderate fast tip works best. If your throwing 1/16 and heavier a 7' light action with a fast tip works best.

11. robdy72
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Eyeballs, St Croix is a good rod. If you go Dobyns the 701 is an excellent drop shot rod for crappie.

Robdy72, if your throwing 1/32oz heads a 6'.6" light action with a moderate fast tip works best. If your throwing 1/16 and heavier a 7' light action with a fast tip works best.
    Thanks for the replies this is very similar to the set up I was asking about, just to get some ideas. I wasn't sure if a shorter rod would cast as good or not.

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Question on this topic, I’m Looking for a higher end rod for hair jigs and dropshotting for gills and crappie. Something 7-7’6” in probably a light/fast or x fast. Anyone recommend a rod? Looking at the St. Croix Legend Panfish but never been able to hold one.
    Get your hands on a G rod, you won't regret it.

https://g-rods.com/

13. Member
    I am running a pair of Fenwick River Runners.......5-8 UL and 6-6UL. Mostly chucking 1/16oz beetle spins or light cranks under 1/8oz.
    I fish a ton of higher end JDM stuff, but these two rods are excellent for gills and specks as well as small bass and the occasional 6lb bowfin we run into.
    Question everything!

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I would also check into the original falcon series rods. Not the slab slayer version the actual USA falcon rod.
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

15. Member
    I've been panfishing for over 50-years.... the most sensitive rods I have ever found are the St Croix panfish series in a 6' rod. Around $109 at Bass Pro, Amazon or eBay. St Croix sells them direct too.