SideScan Mosaics - Do You Use Them?

They say 'Presumption is the Mother of all bugger ups', and I fear that I have simply presumed that all shallow / inland water anglers use SideScan Mosaics, either StructureMap or log and build your their with something like ReefMaster software.

I am currently running a pole on Facebook on my FishTec Lowrance Page https://www.facebook.com/FishTec-Lowrance-131196870481/ to see where fishermen land on this topic.

Have you ever used it and if so how do you rate it as a fishing tool out of 10?

hdfc002.jpg

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishton View Post
    They say 'Presumption is the Mother of all bugger ups', and I fear that I have simply presumed that all shallow / inland water anglers use SideScan Mosaics, either StructureMap or log and build your their with something like ReefMaster software.

I am currently running a pole on Facebook on my FishTec Lowrance Page https://www.facebook.com/FishTec-Lowrance-131196870481/ to see where fishermen land on this topic.

hdfc002.jpg
    I tried it with my Ti2. Looked good...but I just didnt like the dark line from the boats track and think that messed with and helped miss some stuff. But I was just using the sonar logging on the unit, not reef master or any extra software. Im on a macbook too and lots of the ones I saw are for PCs.

3. Member
    Yes, I do my own. For ice fishing via smartphone or perch fishing.
    It's all depend on type of water- sometimes in natural lake- no rocks, trees- only brush line. Another water- lot of structure and SS map give most information for fishing
    Such a waste ,that data from newest transducers doesn't looks so good on structure maps as SI/SS on MFD dislplays. Maybe next version RM/TRX shows it good as it possible.

4. Member

hdfc002.jpg
    I have found in my training sessions that none use StructureMap or Reefmaster and some of my customers are very technical. When they see it on the water they want to learn the process.
    Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

5. Member
    dmc, yes, the 'ghost tracks' on the 3in1 on 800kHz is quite severe at times and is such a pity as it does have a major effect on the StructureMap/Mosaic.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    I tried it with my Ti2. Looked good...but I just didnt like the dark line from the boats track and think that messed with and helped miss some stuff. But I was just using the sonar logging on the unit, not reef master or any extra software. Im on a macbook too and lots of the ones I saw are for PCs.

6. Member
    MaciejK, you are 100% correct, I too was hoping that the Mosaics would be hugely improved with the 3in1 and Mega+, but like you say, it is the opposite. What's worse is that in most mosaics it appears as if segments of data is actually missing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
    Yes, I do my own. For ice fishing via smartphone or perch fishing.
    It's all depend on type of water- sometimes in natural lake- no rocks, trees- only brush line. Another water- lot of structure and SS map give most information for fishing
    Such a waste ,that data from newest transducers doesn't looks so good on structure maps as SI/SS on MFD dislplays. Maybe next version RM/TRX shows it good as it possible.

7. Member
    Hi Doc, yes I found the same thing here in South Africa, once they saw the mosaics they were keen, but to actually go and map it themselves never quite took off. I can name a handful of individuals that really got into it and spent hundreds of hours driving up and down logging sidescan data, but never could get it quite right.

That is why I started building the mosaics for my customers and along the way have learned many little tricks to make the mosaics really 'pop' as you can see in my original image in this thread.

The more time I spent building mosaics the more I realised there is no shortcut to a truly great mosaic, and to be honest, nearly impossible to log each 'row of tiles' perfectly pass after pass. This is when I knew it was a task for Artificial Intelligence by means of a Hydrone.

Four years later I have 'AIMy' (My Artificial Intelligence Mapping), a 3.2m craft which is getting better every day and is about to log the very first 4,000 Acre reservoirs entirely autonomously, which as far as I know is a world first. See the 'mission plan' below. Unfortunately the water level isn't quite 100%, but it is the closest we have as we are experiencing the worst drought I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
    I have found in my training sessions that none use StructureMap or Reefmaster and some of my customers are very technical. When they see it on the water they want to learn the process.
    Project1.jpg

8. Member
    MaciejK, you are 100% correct, I too was hoping that the Mosaics would be hugely improved with the 3in1 and Mega+, but like you say, it is the opposite. What's worse is that in most mosaics it appears as if segments of data is actually missing.
    So, at this point-there's no better tool for mosaics than SS3D.
    Sonar TRX give better resolution than RM, but RM is more comfortable to use.
    I saw Your AI craft on YT, good idea- how it works during side wind? No parallely curse changes?

9. Member
    - The old HB HDSI is still the best sidescan data for mosaics.
    - RM needs some work from a development aspect, but Tore from STRX is just terrible when it comes to support - ignores you for months.
    - There is a Lite and a Heavy version of that craft depending on conditions, but I am currently working on a 'semi-submersible' version for very rough conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
    So, at this point-there's no better tool for mosaics than SS3D.
    Sonar TRX give better resolution than RM, but RM is more comfortable to use.
    I saw Your AI craft on YT, good idea- how it works during side wind? No parallely curse changes?

10. Member
    HB? What model? Why? Details are bigger than Lowrance transducer can show?