Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Why so few 18-19' boats for sale on here?

Like the title says, why is it we see so many 20-21 footers for sale on here and not so many 18-19' class boats for sale? Im a ranger fan and I see sp many Z520s and Z521s but only a handful of say Z519s.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    This question has been posted before. The simple answer is that a 19 foot boat is the sweet spot. An 18 footer feels just slightly small and cramped, particularly if you're fishing 3 people. Also most 18 footers are rated up to a 175 max. A 20-21 footer has a ton of deck space, and are generally faster, but is more expensive in pretty much every way, and might seem a little unwieldy to some people. A 19 footer is large enough to fish multiple people adequately. Most 19 footers now can hit the high 60s or low 70s, and still handle well. As Goldilocks says...it's just right!

Strictly talking about the Ranger lineup, I think the Z519 by far offers the best value. I didn't get a chance to test drive any, but just walking around the showroom I couldn't see the justification for a Z520 considering the price jump. I ended up getting a Falcon 195, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on space. Maybe that'll change, hopefully not, boats are expensive!

The conception seems to be you must have a 20-21 ft boat with 250 HP, 4 widescreen graphs and duel shallow water anchors to catch fish. In most situations all that I mentioned will give you the potential to catch more fish but in most cases it's not a necessity. Plus the economy recession of 2008 is over a decade old and we are currently running strong in the job market so this will free up $ for luxury items such as bass boats. As for catching fish out of 18-19 foot rigs with 150-200 horsepower you can catch just as many fish as you can out of the larger boats but there is situations where a larger boat will have an advantage.

I will use my rig as an example...18'9" with 150 HP. I primarily fish three lakes and there is no place I can't fish on any of them. One of them gets very rough when the wind blows above 20 mph and that will make me readjust how I run the lake or I might possibly fish somewhere else or fish another day. Heck above 20 mph wind and I don't care what lake I am on it's hard to fish effectively in that kind of wind. Anyways my point is I am a casual fisherman that will occasionally fish a tournament. My boat does just fine for the three bodies of water I fish. Now if I was fishing KY Lake, one of the great lakes or somewhere where it's common for the water to get real rough I would want a bigger boat. My boat is a tool and I use it to serve a purpose. As long as it performs up to my expectations I don't need a bigger boat...but that's not what some people want me to think.

and for the OP...your user name sounds familiar. If your who I think you are I really enjoyed watching your bass club videos. If my memory is correct you sold your boat and stopped posting videos. Hopefully you're getting back in and we will see some more videos soon.
    Last edited by JR19; 10-14-2019 at 12:16 AM.

4. Member
    i just sold my r83 ranger 18'8" boat is was in super nice shape a true garage queen,i could not stand a dual console boat in a 18 foot boat it just kills the room for me,i am going back to a single console boat it makes big difference in a 18-19 foot boat if its a single or dual console to me anyway

5. Member
    One thing to factor in is, boat companies don't do promotional discounts on boat less than 20'. Lots of the boats listed for sale here are regional "Team" guys trying to unload their boat so they can get a new one. The 18-19' buyer tends to keep their boat for longer periods of time, and they sell more quickly when they do put them up for sale.

6. Member
    from the manufacturing standpoint it does cost much more to build a 20 or 21 than a 19 an big boats have a lot more demand.

7. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Probably because it’s not much more money to go ahead and get a 20-21’ with a 250 vs a 19’ with a 225. Once you go over the 18’ range you mine as well get a 20’ er. If your spending 55 why go ahead to 60 for the bigger one.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Probably because it’s not much more money to go ahead and get a 20-21’ with a 250 vs a 19’ with a 225. Once you go over the 18’ range you mine as well get a 20’ er. If your spending 55 why go ahead to 60 for the bigger one.
    I think that this is the reason why. More people buy the larger boats, so consequently with few of the smaller boats being bought, fewer small boats are available for sale. FWIW, I scaled down from the larger boats with the 250's to the 19 foot class with 200's four years ago. I don't miss the bigger boats at all.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    cost for sure is one. But as many mentioned, the 18-19fter's are most versatile. Most people won't have the Garage room for anything more then a 19 footer without having to take 1.5 spot in the garage. I originally was going for a 18.5ft, but ended up with a 19.5 ft and it was such a pain trying to fit it into my garage with my other toys. I think my 19 footer (ZX195c) rides very nice, smooth and comfortable. I've been on waters with wind pushing 15-16mph and have confident in driving it.
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    One thing to factor in is, boat companies don't do promotional discounts on boat less than 20'. Lots of the boats listed for sale here are regional "Team" guys trying to unload their boat so they can get a new one. The 18-19' buyer tends to keep their boat for longer periods of time, and they sell more quickly when they do put them up for sale.
    ^ This for sure. I asked the same question when I was buying 2 years ago. I wanted a 18-19' boat with warranty on motor still. None available. 10000's of 20 footers.

11. Member
    Basically a lot of why has been said. Personally to me the 19’ range with a 200 would be perfect for what I do. I run an 18’ boat now and for 95% of what I do, it’s perfect. Smaller lakes and rivers and backwaters on the Upper Mississippi. Though I’ve had my boat on some of the roughest water in the country (Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, LOZ) and have been just fine. You just have to pick your battles

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Basically a lot of why has been said. Personally to me the 19’ range with a 200 would be perfect for what I do. I run an 18’ boat now and for 95% of what I do, it’s perfect. Smaller lakes and rivers and backwaters on the Upper Mississippi. Though I’ve had my boat on some of the roughest water in the country (Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, LOZ) and have been just fine. You just have to pick your battles
    you are right about picking your battles,i am retired and still love fishing in a nice slow rain and come home get a good nap lol

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i just sold my r83 ranger 18'8" boat is was in super nice shape a true garage queen,i could not stand a dual console boat in a 18 foot boat it just kills the room for me,i am going back to a single console boat it makes big difference in a 18-19 foot boat if its a single or dual console to me anyway
    Somebody got a nice boat for sure.

14. Member
    I have owned a whole bunch of 18's over the past several decades. I think a bunch have done like I did and went back to aluminum boats. I made the jump back three years ago. Once in a while I'll miss the nice smooth ride of a glass boat, then I remember all the money I saved up front along with the money I save on gas every time I go out. That doesn't count the money saved on routine maintenance. Ease of moving the rig around in the garage etc...is also a huge bonus. If I had to fish big open water all the time I'd for sure have a glass boat again. That kind of water is the Achilles Heel of the 18 or 19 foot standard style aluminum bass hull.

Last time I priced a loaded 19 glass with a 200 they were all over 50 grand. You can easily spend 65-75 on a 20 footer these days. My RT188 18'8" aluminum boat with the max platinum Merc warranty, Ultrex, taxes etc...was right at 30K. Hard to believe 30K for a loaded aluminum bass boat is a "bargain", but that's where we are these days. They gotta sell new ones before you see used ones. To be honest I see more Nitro's in the 18 and 19's than any other brand.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    The conception seems to be you must have a 20-21 ft boat with 250 HP, 4 widescreen graphs and duel shallow water anchors to catch fish. In most situations all that I mentioned will give you the potential to catch more fish but in most cases it's not a necessity. Plus the economy recession of 2008 is over a decade old and we are currently running strong in the job market so this will free up $ for luxury items such as bass boats. As for catching fish out of 18-19 foot rigs with 150-200 horsepower you can catch just as many fish as you can out of the larger boats but there is situations where a larger boat will have an advantage.

I will use my rig as an example...18'9" with 150 HP. I primarily fish three lakes and there is no place I can't fish on any of them. One of them gets very rough when the wind blows above 20 mph and that will make me readjust how I run the lake or I might possibly fish somewhere else or fish another day. Heck above 20 mph wind and I don't care what lake I am on it's hard to fish effectively in that kind of wind. Anyways my point is I am a casual fisherman that will occasionally fish a tournament. My boat does just fine for the three bodies of water I fish. Now if I was fishing KY Lake, one of the great lakes or somewhere where it's common for the water to get real rough I would want a bigger boat. My boat is a tool and I use it to serve a purpose. As long as it performs up to my expectations I don't need a bigger boat...but that's not what some people want me to think.

and for the OP...your user name sounds familiar. If your who I think you are I really enjoyed watching your bass club videos. If my memory is correct you sold your boat and stopped posting videos. Hopefully you're getting back in and we will see some more videos soon.
    Good feedback. Yes sir, that was me! I sold the ole Ranger last spring, but I'm not going to get back into a boat until my youngest gets out of daycare (1.5 years). As it stands now, I'm leaning more towards a used Z519. I dont want to break the bank but I want something newer than what I had.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I have owned a whole bunch of 18's over the past several decades. I think a bunch have done like I did and went back to aluminum boats. I made the jump back three years ago. Once in a while I'll miss the nice smooth ride of a glass boat, then I remember all the money I saved up front along with the money I save on gas every time I go out. That doesn't count the money saved on routine maintenance. Ease of moving the rig around in the garage etc...is also a huge bonus. If I had to fish big open water all the time I'd for sure have a glass boat again. That kind of water is the Achilles Heel of the 18 or 19 foot standard style aluminum bass hull.

Last time I priced a loaded 19 glass with a 200 they were all over 50 grand. You can easily spend 65-75 on a 20 footer these days. My RT188 18'8" aluminum boat with the max platinum Merc warranty, Ultrex, taxes etc...was right at 30K. Hard to believe 30K for a loaded aluminum bass boat is a "bargain", but that's where we are these days. They gotta sell new ones before you see used ones. To be honest I see more Nitro's in the 18 and 19's than any other brand.
    Yeah those 18 and 19 foot nitros are pretty popular and not a bad price either, but it's still a nitro lol.
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

17. Member
    the 19 foot and up when used in rough water is nice for spanning the distance between waves and at times will give you a better ride / driver experience.

18. Member
    I'm guessing since fewer 19' boats are sold new, it makes fewer 19' boats available for resale.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I'm guessing since fewer 19' boats are sold new, it makes fewer 19' boats available for resale.
    BINGO!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Agree with this.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast