Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4S Pro XS Top End Power Loss

No alarms on smartcaft but something is definitely up with my my 2020 225 V8 pro XS. WOT is 5800 rpm. Can only really fly the hull (2020 Bass Cat Caracal) when I am alone and have less than half a tank of fuel. I was getting much better performance during the break in period than I am now. Motor has 15 hrs on it now. This all started around 10-12 hrs. Some have suggested possibly a coil? Anybody else experienced loss of power. It only seems to occur above mid range power. Hole shot through 50mph is strong. Falls on its face after. Plan to take in for warranty this week.

SN# 2B687782
    24 FURY
    Smartcraft Guages
    5810 WOT
    Last edited by AnglerHub; 10-14-2019 at 10:29 AM.

2. Member
    You are absolutely sure your prop hasn’t hit anything?

Yes. I went and had id tuned just in case. It’s now a worked prop and still performs like pooo

I would suggest editing your post to include your serial number that way it won't possibly get dropped and will probably get answered by a Merc Tech.

5. Member
    +1 and might check the Announcement as there are several other items necessary for the pros here to help with your concerns - Please Read BEFORE Posting- Updated 10/05/2017
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    I would suggest editing your post to include your serial number that way it won't possibly get dropped and will probably get answered by a Merc Tech.
    SN Added

7. Member
    What RPM were you seeing before?

8. Member
    <EDIT- SEE ANNOUNCEMENTS (One engine per thread ONLY)>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-16-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Announcements

9. Member
    Sounds like another fuel rail screen clogged, very similar to what I experienced and others I talked to and it was that

6000 and some change during break-in..
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    What RPM were you seeing before?

11. Member
    Wonder if the adjustment on the hotfoot slipped?
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Wonder if the adjustment on the hotfoot slipped?
    We did check for this. The motor is going to 100% WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    Sounds like another fuel rail screen clogged, very similar to what I experienced and others I talked to and it was that
    Could you tell what it was clogged with ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Could you tell what it was clogged with ?
    Dealer said it was just trash in there

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnglerHub View Post
    We did check for this. The motor is going to 100% WOT.
    So the DEALER checked this on G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System? This is the ONLY accurate method.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    So the DEALER checked this on G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System? This is the ONLY accurate method.
    Yes I took it to the local bass cat dealer and he hooked it up to a laptop. All systems seemed good but its not performing the way it was. Frustrating.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the basics- SPARK, Compression and fuel supply/delivery/pressure.

Don't overlook the spark plugs and wires.

When you say it falls on it's face, do you mean the engine dies (nearly stalls), or it simply doesn't want to make any more RPM's despite advancing the throttle?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check the basics- SPARK, Compression and fuel supply/delivery/pressure.

Don't overlook the spark plugs and wires.

When you say it falls on it's face, do you mean the engine dies (nearly stalls), or it simply doesn't want to make any more RPM's despite advancing the throttle?
    It just doesnt want to make more RPMS. 5800 is pretty low considering i had the prop worked. I would assume anyway?

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What prop, what work, and does that correspond at all with your change in performance?

I still recommend going back to the basics- especially not overlooking simple ignition related items.

Quote Originally Posted by AnglerHub View Post
    It just doesnt want to make more RPMS. 5800 is pretty low considering i had the prop worked. I would assume anyway?
    I know you say it's been set with the computer. But thats exactly what my 250R did before getting the throttle set properly.
    From what I experienced and from what I'm hearing not everyone knows how to set them. After all was said and done my rig was only getting 90.5% and it took some coaxing to go past 5800 rpm and 5900 was ALL it would turn even with a smaller prop.
    To get full throttle we had to remove the pedal stop screw from the hotfoot and adjust the linkage at the motor. We then had to adjust hotfoot idle stop all the way in to get below 2% on the bottom.
    Now it will BLOW past 6000 rpm and peel your eye lids back on take off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast