Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

How to prevent Mice getting into House/Garage ?

I had 2 mice in 2017, 1 in 2018.I never want to chase 2 mice around the house for 2 weeks like I did in 2017. They Chit more than a Goose. I learned to go full force- 6 traps, sticky things and poison when I first saw one that was actually 3 mice in years back. I have attached garage and fixed the weather striping on garage door and set traps in garage. I checked outside for holes and cracks. Last year, I saw a mouse run up my bricks when I was taking in the hose and went under the soffit(aluminum ). I filled a few Mortar lines that looked larger than the others and threw poison cubes in attic and never saw him again. I also have a fireplace chimney. How do you guys prevent mice from entering your house or garage in the Fall ? Spray entry ways (garage door/sliding screen door)? Poisons cubes on the outside ?

2. Member
    Snap traps are best inside IF you don't have pets, I use peanut butter as bait. I've never had one in the house but I have in the garage.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Bait stations outside.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Get a cat.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Get a cat.
    Thats what I’m thinking.

6. Member
    Try living in a very old farm house. Unlimited food supply in the fields and barn combined with just too many holes to find in the house. So I get mice. For the most part the best I can do is control their numbers. Because no matter what I do I will get a mouse or two in the house. Even the cat is not much help. But I found what works best is bait stations out side and a combination of snap and glue traps. Fall is the worst time for me. The only way to keep them out of the house is to block every hole. Suckers can even climb trees that are near or overhang you roof.

7. Member
    Have a hay field by the house. Whenever they cut it or when there is a really cold snap I sometimes get a few in the house. Put out some snap traps and that usually does it. Once this year they kept taking the cheese without setting the trap. Never had that happen before so I put out some glue traps and that took care of it but I do not like dealing with them on the glue traps as they are kind of inhumane.

8. Member
    If they want in !, they will get in !... don’t use poison! if they die in a inaccessible place?... they will stink up the place !... I use the log roller/ 5 gal bucket trap !....,works like a charm !....

9. Member
    Heavy duty glue traps work great. Have one in my shop and it held a Rat Snake. Like to have never got it out. He will probably have to shed his skin before he stops sticking to things!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Heavy duty glue traps work great. Have one in my shop and it held a Rat Snake. Like to have never got it out. He will probably have to shed his skin before he stops sticking to things!
    I bet that wasn't fun at all. My aunt got here hair stuck in one... my mom had to cut it out!! They laughed about it for hours.

11. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    [QUOTE=rboren;10584778]Heavy duty glue traps work great. Have one in my shop and it held a Rat Snake. Like to have never got it out.

I had a mouse trapped in a room a few years ago so I lined the entrance with 2 rows of glue traps. Later that night, I stepped on a few glue traps with a real good pair of socks. . . one foot and them the other foot's big toe when I was tiptoeing around. . . & . Game Plan > I'm going to put a few bait stations by the corner of the garage door and one in the corner of the deck.Plus put out a few snap traps in laundry room and behind Frig & Stove and in Fireplace.. A TON of Prevention is Best Defense. . . I NEVER want another mouse in my House. Thanks for tips/ideas > I still want more suggestions..

12. Member
    Always put them against the wall, if its a snap trap put the bait side closest to the wall. sticky traps same because the whole thing is a trap.

At my old house I saw a mouse in my office, which had a bathroom, chased him into the bathroom and closed the door. I then grabbed a towel and jammed it under the door as there was a little distance between the carpet and bottom of the door. I left him in there for two days. When I opened it finally he had somehow managed to crawl up the wall or somehow get on the vanity and chew/partially ate a bar of soap. He wasn't dead but was missed up in a big way. I took him about 200 yard to a field and let him go..... I'd bet he didn't make it long. I later learned the two houses up (a guy didn't know) had not thrown his garage out in 6-9 months and it was all sitting in this garage.

13. Member
    Get some spearment oil and put it around house in containers should keep them away.

Get a barn cat and enjoy the day

15. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    A bar of Irish Spring soap. I place them in my laundry room and office...the 2 places I've seen them before. No more mice in the house. Been 5 years since I've seen one.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

This
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    Get a barn cat and enjoy the day

17. Member
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...epellant-10-oz

Use this stuff ^^^
    It does have a certain odor to it. Smell it first.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Get a cat.
    This! Had an old farm house we moved into 16 yrs ago. First week noticed we had a damn bad mouse problem. Decided to get a couple kittens. Best decision ever made. Just get a cat door installed on the door going from house to garage and you will be bullet proof.

19. Member
    Had a cat for several years that was a skilled mouser. That cat keep the house clear of mice but I would have to check my pillow before I went to bed because that cat would leave little gifts for me quite often, usually the mouse heart. That cat would also bring birds, small frogs and field mice in to the house thru the dog door and would play with them for awhile before he killed them.

20. Member
    Best mouse trap ive had has 4 legs and meows.
    Last edited by Axkiker; 10-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast