Fall fishing question?

Well, it's that time of year that I don't have a ton of experience in. Fishing highland reservoir type situations with feeder creeks and such I have noticed that there are a ton of shad already in the backs of some of the creeks and coves and they seem to migrate right in the middle of the creeks and coves going back and forth to the main lake. It seems like most of the bass are tending toward the mouths of these creeks (but it's hit or miss for me) even though there might be a ton of shad in the backs. Anyone have any pointers in these situations?

2. robdy72
    Shallow running crank baits and I love throwing top water baits when your around shad in the creeks early or late in the day this time of year.

3. Member
    This time of year can be great or a bust.

Grew up fishing those types of lakes. Covering a ton of water seems to always be a big deal, and I agree that it's either hit or miss with more misses than hits - it just that the days it hits are the ones you remember!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    So are you all just burning up the banks and points with fast moving baits during this period? Seems some people are able to catch fish shallow and deep too. Majority of the shad seem to be real shallow though.

6. robdy72
    More shallow for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kyduck View Post
    So are you all just burning up the banks and points with fast moving baits during this period? Seems some people are able to catch fish shallow and deep too. Majority of the shad seem to be real shallow though.
    All else equal and as a general rule, if water temps are above the mid 50s and there is bait up shallow, I'm throwing a buzzbait or Whopper Plopper and trying to see how many miles I can put on the trolling motor in a given day in areas that have signs of life. If you're not getting bit you obviously have to try something else, but there's no bait that can cover water better than a buzzbait or Plopper in my mind. Fish seem to scatter at this time of year, and it seems like covering enough water to get to the active ones is the biggest thing. That's not to say that I'm just gonna throw it for 8 hours if I'm not catching fish, but that's where I'm starting.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

8. Member
    I agree hit or miss but I have not heard anyone say spinnerbait. This is my number 1 bait this time of year. You can burn it on top slow roll the bottom and is a great shad imitation bait. Also can cover alot or water. Especially this time of year I use a 5/16 finesse spinnerbait. Also a jerkbait is great. Work it fast work it slow. Work one shallow work one deep. Then if no bites flip. Flip the deepest cover off the bank the ends of laydowns. Once you catch 2 run the pattern most will be on it. Hope this helps.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758