TAX ON USED BOAT

If i buy a boat from an individual from another state do i pay taxes on it. if its used.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If i remember correctly, no.....when i got back from Oklahoma with mine went to the tax department with check book and didnt have to write a check.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    You have to pay tax on the trailer when you go to dmv. I would get a bill of sale for trailer only and another for boat and motor and accessories. No tax is due on boat and motor as long as its from an individual. you will need its current states registration and there is a form you have to fill out and take to your local sales tax office,usually at the school board, and also to the dept of revenue(state) for them to sign it stating no tax is due. Its on the LDWF web site.

4. Member
    I bought mine from Texas last year... I would get three bill of sales if boat,motor, and trailer have there own title. And I only paid taxes on the trailer. Which was Very cheap on my boat ;)... other than that see if you can find a title place with a dmv attached. There are several in south la. It’s a little extra money but we walked it with all our paper work and check books they did everything. Lawlf, dmv, title taxes think I paid 400 ish and walked out done deal plate came in and numbers in the mail in a few weeks. I used tags and titles in Gonzales. The ladies in there know what you need and they will let you know what to bring. They don’t want to waste their time or yours

5. Member
    I guess it depends what state you're in. In Illinois you pay the DNR tax on the boat which ends going to the Illinois Department of Revenue. You have to change registration on the trailer and buy the license plates from the Dept of Motor Vehicles, and if you live in a state that titles outboard motors you have to deal with that, too.

6. Member
    If you buy a boat from a Texas owner, be sure to get a copy of the most recent trailer license registration. Texas does not require a title for trailers under a specified weight class. I bought a tandem axle rig and you would think this would be necessary, but not in Texas. I asked the owner to sign a bill of sale for the boat, motor, and trailer prior to completing the deal. Having all the correct paperwork available will help in the long run as the tax office will ask for everything. I had to pay taxes on the boat & motor and did so in Baton Rouge at the LDWF office.

7. Member
    no taxes on used boat from individual.

as said make sure to get any titles available and a bill of sale for boat, motor, and trailer. If possible it wont hurt to get a copy of that owners bill of sale when he bought the boat. You don't want to go to the DMV more than once.