Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livescope killing battery

I have a size 24 deep cycle battery I use as my starting battery. I use to run four Lowrance HDS units without any problems which had the structure scan module for side imaging. I sold one of my HDS and replaced it with a 93 echo map plus along with livescope.

Currently I have 2 HDS 5s, 1 HDS 8, and the garmin unit.

I can fully charge mybattery and within an hour of fishing it is less than 11 volts and when I try to start the motor it will loose the livescope transducer. I didn’t have any problems prior to adding the livescope. The battery is one year old. After a few hours of fishingnits not uncommon for it to drop around 10-11 volts.

Thought about adding an additional deep cycle. Maybe a group 27 or 31 to add some reserve capacity unless there is another option.

Thanks for any hekp!

Thomas
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

2. Member
    Running a lot of electronics, a Group 31 is a good choice. AGM even a better choice!

3. Member
    I too went from Lowrance and had no issues with a group31. I run a 1242,ps30,ps31,Livescope and a gt34. The 30 and 34 run full time and Livescope/31 as needed. I’m on my main engine (merc60)less than an hour per trip and troller (terrova80)the remainder of trip. My main battery is good for 4-6 hrs before it starts dipping. A full day and I’m at 11.0-11.3. I barely make it and can’t run the live well and ration the stereo. My plan was to have another 12 at the bow but I don’t have the battery capacity to do it yet so I move my unit back and forth as needed. I’m working on dual batteries or lithium’s so I can get the other 12.

I would say your 24 is too small for that load and a 31 will be a great improvement. As you add to your toy box you may have to consider how you’re going to power it all. Note that if you have a large outboard and make long moves throughout the day you will have more than enough battery with a 31.

That is a factor, I have a Mercury 125 and my runs aren't long at all typically on the bodies of water I fish. Its usually just a few minutes then an hour of fishing then onto the next spot 5 minutes away to repeat the process. Only my second time out did I not notice and have to troll back unable to start the motor.

I guess with the great technology and advancement Livescope offers it comes at the trade off increased power consumption. I think if I get an additional bigger battery I will just wire it up in parallel. Unsure of what stress that will put on my charging system on the Mercury but can't imagine it will hurt anything.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Agm will be your friend

Batteries plus x2 31agm.

all you need no need for two inferior batteries
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Most will recommend a 31 AGM, which would generally work great. If for the 2000 ELPTO in your sig, I'm pretty that motor has a stator, and an AGM isn't recommended. I'm in the same position with a 1997 90 HP Merc tiller, and ended up going with the group 27 Batteries Plus Duracell SLI27MA (East Penn 27M6). I run 4 Carbon 7's, NMEA, P1, etc, etc

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...up-27m/sli27ma

https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...Sheet-0194.pdf

How old is this battery/ have you checked the water levels?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Banned
    It's quickly reaching a point where Lithium may be the only solution. I fished with a guy yesterday running two Solix 15's, older Onix, Helix 12, 360 and two livescopes with 1242 units to each one. We fished 8 hours and he had been there two before I got there.

We fished more than we ran and when I asked him about his battery, it was a 100 amp lithium. He has been running it for two years because he got tired of worrying about his electronics during a tournament.

He also cranks his engine with it.

10. Member
    I have a 50ah lithium (lifepo4) battery that I drain in a 10 - 12 hour day. It has:

Helix 9
    GPSMAP 7410
    Livescope
    and sometimes PS31 on it.

Looking to add an extra or a bigger battery.

11. Member
    I run a 29 series wally mart battery (3 years old ) with my new 93echo map plus /livescope combo - I was fearful that the battery (due to age) wouldn't power the garmin combo/ Lowrance hds 9 gen 3 and Yammy ox66 200 HP, for a whole day- it is fine and never goes below 12 volt. I would say you are having a battery related issue.

12. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I put a Northstar series 31 AGM in mine this year and run 3 units on it and it has been flawless. I highly recommend the Northstar.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

13. Member
    I don’t know how you have made it this far with that small of a cranker. Size 31 and agm is the way to go. Odyssey makes a good one. I have the one cabelas sells.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daiwshi View Post
    I have a 50ah lithium (lifepo4) battery that I drain in a 10 - 12 hour day. It has:

Helix 9
    GPSMAP 7410
    Livescope
    and sometimes PS31 on it.

Looking to add an extra or a bigger battery.
    He's running the LithiumPro 100amp. I think some of the issues folks have with lithium is buying from sources that don't have a reputation. LithiumPro is tough to beat, if you can hide it from the wife. I'm working on that as I type :-)

15. Member
    Do the lithium have limitations on charging like agms? I have a 60 Merc and it has no alternator. Just a Stator and Generator. I was told AGM is a no go plus my onboard charger is an older MK330D with no switch for different battery types. I know I’ll have to change chargers if I switch to Lithium but there’s not a lot of info out there as to if lithium will pair with a stator/ generator combo. I’d sure like to get the weight of 2 31 wet cells off my bow too!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    Do the lithium have limitations on charging like agms? I have a 60 Merc and it has no alternator. Just a Stator and Generator. I was told AGM is a no go plus my onboard charger is an older MK330D with no switch for different battery types. I know I’ll have to change chargers if I switch to Lithium but there’s not a lot of info out there as to if lithium will pair with a stator/ generator combo. I’d sure like to get the weight of 2 31 wet cells off my bow too!
    The only thing I know for sure is one of my friends has two boats. His older boat has a Yamaha ProV that has to be around the 2000 year model and they told him not to use one for cranking on that engine. His HDPI was fine however.

I've talked to LithiumPro a couple of times and they are very friendly. I'm sure they would know if you give them a call.

I probably need to load test the battery, or perhaps throw it on a different charger and see if that shows a power deficiency.

I didn't have any problems though until I added the live scope which makes me think it probably isn't the battery.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I have scope black box and uhd black box ,1242 and 1042 my orielys agm 34 m will go all day no problem

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasfouraker View Post
    I probably need to load test the battery, or perhaps throw it on a different charger and see if that shows a power deficiency.

I didn't have any problems though until I added the live scope which makes me think it probably isn't the battery.
    With short runs you mentioned, perhaps your battery were never fully charged enough to prevent calcification (sp?) from building up.

Quote Originally Posted by mosin View Post
    With short runs you mentioned, perhaps your battery were never fully charged enough to prevent calcification (sp?) from building up.
    I would tend to agree however my battery is always placed on a Minn Kota 110 charger when I get home. Doesn't mean much though I know and further investigation into the matter should be performed.

I can't imagine the Livescope consuming more power than a 12v trolling motor that the battery is designed to run.
    2001 Mercury Optimax 225
    0T344965
    2000 Mercury ELPTO 125
    0T072885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast