Making Bass Spinnerbait Equipment Help

I have a hot pot and have made wobble head molds. I am wanting to expand to making spinnerbaits.

I like the Do It Ultra Minnow Spinner Jig mold (https://www.zeiners.com/doit/ultraminnowspinnerjig.html) and would make 3/8 oz baits on a 4/0 black nickel hook. More than likely i will make a double willow size 4 followed by a 5 blade in both a slow and standard cup bait.

What would be the best wire (length and size), balls, clevis (i do not know if there are different sizes),and spacing for this?

That is a lot of blade area for a 3/8oz.... Most likely it will roll or atleast run at a strong angle. I use large frames for that size bait and cut the top wire where I want.

Try the VMC 7250BN Hook>>> https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/spinne...ait-hooks.aspx

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

On a 3/8oz head I would suggest 3.5 and 4 size willows. .035 wire use a #2 clevis. Any bigger wire go up to a #3 clevis. I don't remember what the spacing should be.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitaker201 View Post
    On a 3/8oz head I would suggest 3.5 and 4 size willows. .035 wire use a #2 clevis. Any bigger wire go up to a #3 clevis. I don't remember what the spacing should be.
    .035" wire diameter needs a #3 clevis, .031" you can use the #2 clevis. The reason is because a #2 easy spin or stirrup clevis has holes that are .035" in diameter. The wire does have minor variations and with the clevis holes and wire diameter being the same dimension it can cause binding issues. I know this because I was using the #2 clevis on my baits with .035" wire and noticed that my blade on the clevis was rotating slower than it did on my 1/2oz bait with the larger clevis. I figured it was the weight difference but I checked it by hand and noticed that there was some friction. I went and used the #3 clevis and it was like a night and day difference, the speed of the blade was much faster. The #2 clevis will work on .035" wire but the #3 will spin freer even though it is slightly larger.

Thank you for the correction. I looked last night and my wire is .032 and .04. I thought my smaller size was .035 oops.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive