Compression Question

I purchased a small 2001 flats boat with a 2001 90hp mercury salt edition. It runs great on the water and has recently had a full service in March.

I’m not a boat mechanic. However, considering the age of the motor, I recorded a compression reading of 74, 74, and 71. My process was to pull the kill switch and test each chamber, pulling out one spark plug at a time.

I don’t know the hours, however can I assume that if three chambers of a new engine are to test in the 100s that this engine to test in the mid 70’s (within 10% of each other) Is just normal wear on an 18 year old engine?

Hope this makes sense,
    Roy
    Last edited by roystenstrom; 10-13-2019 at 06:08 AM.

2. Member
    tested wrong , likely wouldn't even start with 70 lbs or run very bad , warm it up pull all plugs grnd plug wires and recheck with throttle wide open and hot battery
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I believe we tested it cold without warming it up... but sounds like I need to try it again like you described

4. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    TIP:
    useing tire valve cores in a compression gauge will usually cause the gauge to read low by quite a bit, check the gauge accuracy
    Your reading have very little variation which is great, I doubt you really have low compression
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Are you by chance using a harbor freight gauge with the screw in hose?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle