Alternator voltage

2002 300x 0t652508
    The alternator voltage per on Merc manual should be 14.5-15v. Would 15.6 volts at 2k rpm blow the 20 amp fuse going to the coils..Thanks..

2. Member
    Technically it depends on the AMPERAGE at that voltage.

3. Member
    Thanks Savage..

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblerman65 View Post
    2002 300x 0t652508
    The alternator voltage per on Merc manual should be 14.5-15v. Would 15.6 volts at 2k rpm blow the 20 amp fuse going to the coils..Thanks..
    If you don't mind my asking, WHAT manual (specifically) did you get that voltage range from?

Voltage should not normally exceed 14.6-14.8 VDC.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don,
    I got the info from Mercury Racing service manual for 300x dated 7-2001. The info. is on page 2b-15 and 2b-16. Let me know if I am reading it wrong. Thanks for your input..

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The latest version lists 14.2 - 15V. Given the number of revisions that have been made to that manual. I'll notate those figures but doubt there will be a future update at this point.

As a general rule, we do not expect to see more than 14.8 (some PCM calibrations trigger High Voltage warnings at 15V or higher, while some of the earlier ones simply "shut down" in an effort to protect themselves).

In reality- it appears we're talking about a difference of .2 VDC, so in the big picture, it's not that big of a deal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you Don..