2000 520 Deck Lids crack and soft

I know this has been discussed here before but for not some time.

I have a buddy that owns the above boat and I fished with him last weekend. I can't believe how many of the lids on the boat are bad. I stepped on the big tackle storage lid (the one as you step onto the front deck) and thought I was going to fall through. I weigh 180 lbs. Asked him how long has it been that way, he said a over a year (he doesn't fish that often).

I know this is a manufacturing defect and will have him contact Ranger. If Ranger will not help him, is there a cheaper option to repair rather than replacing the lids? FYI, he is thinking of replacing his carpet as well if that means anything.

Thanks - CaT

2. Member
    Take it to ranger and have them do it. I took mine there...I believe they quoted me $1750.00 that included all new lids, carpet (including inside rod boxes) and all new carpet trim.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    In 20 years, I think the point has been passed where anything that transpires with a boat should automatically be considered a manufacturing defect. While some boats of that era have developed soft/cracked lids, many others [some much older] have not. I believe we are lucky as Ranger owners to be able to obtain replacement/repair materials for our boats after 20 or more years.

P.S. Useful thread on the topic of lid repairs:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ferrerid=39498
    Last edited by jc2bg; 10-13-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    In 20 years, I think the point has been passed where anything that transpires with a boat should automatically be considered a manufacturing defect. While some boats of that era have developed soft/cracked lids, many others [some much older] have not. I believe we are lucky as Ranger owners to be able to obtain replacement/repair materials for our boats after 20 or more years.

P.S. Useful thread on the topic of lid repairs:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ferrerid=39498
    Yep on the above...and vast majority of boats are fine with no soft lids.

I'm not excusing the problem because its well known, but its small compared to the number of boats built and sold.
    Last edited by dean c; 10-13-2019 at 12:17 PM.

5. Member
    I have some soft lids, I’m not thrilled about it but like stated above, I’m happy with the fact I can get replacement parts. Ranger service is very good! I have three lids on the way.

6. Member
    about 1k to replace all lids I hear, from customer who just did it on a new to him used ranger
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    about 1k to replace all lids I hear, from customer who just did it on a new to him used ranger
    Lids are pretty inexpensive relative to the fact that they come with carpet matched to your boat and mounting hardware already attached.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

8. Member
    You can repair them. Those lids are two thin layers of fiberglass with foam sandwiched between them. Remove the lid and cut out the bottom layer of glass,leaving about 1/2” around the edges. Then dig out all the foam. Fill the cavity with fiberglass resin and matting back to the original thickness. It will be heavier but is rock solid. I did both of my livewell lids like this and there is zero flex now.

9. Member
    My 2003 had a couple soft lids, the rest were solid. Ordered replacements from Ranger, fit perfectly, carpet matched, hardware included, and fast. Yes they charge for them and it’s not “covered” or “warranty” but it was worth the money and allowed me to get top dollar when I sold it... also added the deck extension at the same time.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets