TJNYSNP

2002 Ficht HO - symptoms

Hi All,

Engine: 2002 E225FHLNSF H.O. 20" shaft

This is what happened today. Out fishing and everything seemed fine, as i do i idled extra long time before tournament started. Ran around no problems. Then when I went to shut the engine down to fish a spot, the engine just seemed to change pitch a bit.. it is all i can explain it.. it was not a 'knock' but kind of a vibration when i looked back at the engine and it didn't have the same idling pur.... tried to put her in reverse but it was like it was really struggling to rev.... put her back in gear foreward...would idle fine... but she would not get back on plane and you could tell that all the HPs just were not engaged as the boat usually comes up fast on plane.

I pulled out the 6 plugs. The top 4 plugs seemed fine. The bottom 2 plugs were wet with some oil spray on them.... could not smell gas on them but they were wet looking and oily.

I dropped her off to get checked by the Evinrude shop this week.

Does this sound like a blown engine or some other Ficht type of issue ? Gonna be a long week waiting to hear back about what they found out.
    Last edited by mohawkman; 10-13-2019 at 05:24 AM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Any LED's lit on the system check gauge?

It sounds like you have a bad throttle position sensor.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

4. TJNYSNP
    Thanks Dan. ChampionMan.. no lights or alarms.

5. TJNYSNP
    Update: Cylinder six completely dead and cylinder 5 bad compression. My mechanic suggested i let this Evinrude Ficht 225 HO 2002 engine go to the engine heaven in the sky with the other Fichts and not put money into it.

I'm looking for a used 200, 225 or 250 generation 1 ( not a Gen 2 ) with any warranty left on it. If anyone knows of someone that is thinking of repowering that is still on warranty at a fair price let me know.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Part out the Ficht and recoup some of your $$$$ I would buy the fuel pump and vst just for a spare.... Sorry to hear the bad news....

7. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Part out the Ficht and recoup some of your $$$$ I would buy the fuel pump and vst just for a spare.... Sorry to hear the bad news....
    Great idea!

8. TJNYSNP
    Update. I found a left over *new* ETEC 2017 225HO with 5 year warranty for a good price. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.... Tips for pepple that need to repower people that I learned from the process:

1. Be patient and find an engine with a warranty left on it of some form if at all possible
    2. These engines are not 'on a boat' and not things they can go and run a test on for compression easily, so its a bit tricking being confident with what you are told unless you are dealing directly with a dealership like C&O. Ask for last maintenance paperwork
    3. Get the serial# on the engine; Your own dealership that will do the mounting can look it up to see what warranty work was done on it and if the warranty still stands with it
    4. Switching brands usually means buying all new controls and the work to install the new controls
    5. Some older boats like mine just don't fit all the new gauges and electronic panels well... think about retrofitting into your boat with someone who will do the work
    6. On an Evinrude, warranties "go with the ownership" which is great...while other brands its not that good i'm told and they don't transfer except under special conditions, some brands there is no transfer; Just what i found out.. not an expert.. just something to be aware of
    7. This ebay "Make an Offer" thing ... if you make a low offer, the sellers often don't even respond to you at all.. kind of depressing.... Just pick up the phone and call the marina or message seller to talk to them
    8. Talk to your mechanic before you cannibalize your current blown engine for parts selling yourself...see if he cares.... they may not take well and even charge for recycling the old engine if its not worth anything for parts
    9. Double verify that the engine you are interested in committing to has the right shaft length ("20" in my case)
    10. The white evinrudes can be used for freshwater bass boats as long as they are the "20" shaft
    11. Ask if they are going to give you any of the rigging materials, gauges, controls with the engine .. or nothing. Try to negotiate them throwing in the control box or something if they won't budge on a price point
    12. Don't forget shipping fees.. around $500

That's all. thanks again everyone for all the advice

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Good deal! Glad it worked out for you.

I'd love to find a left over 225HO Etec.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    where did you find a leftover at?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    TIP - I ship big OBs ‘depot to depot’ and save $100s on shipping. Works IF there is a freight depot near you, believe I use freightquote.com. Even bought a HUGE but light toona tower from FL (to Mass) once & depot shipping was much < than $200!

13. TJNYSNP
    Thanks DaleH