Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Dont even get me started on maple trees. Ive got 2 I would have removed but removing even one would cost a fortune.

2. Member
    only two things pine trees are good for build houses and attack lightning

3. Member
    I had 5 cut down right next to our cabins. Guy took a trac-hoe and kept them from landing on them. About 24 “ in diameter. Ticks love to be around them. Sweetgum trees are not my favorite either!

4. Member
    My dislike of pine trees is exceed only by that for sweet gums. Had five sweet gums at my last house. When I bought my current home it had two large pines (and no sweet gums trees). My wife loves pines but I convinced her that one was at risk of damaging our camper. Down to one pine now.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

I don't mind them got plenty in Jasper. They do cause some work, but its not that bad. We have a metal roof and don't have gutters, and do not have a a lawn I care about. Still have to sweep the roof a few times each year.

If you got enough of them they are worth money.
    Last edited by BMCD; 10-14-2019 at 08:07 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Banned
    I put 60 white pines on my patch 16 years ago all between 5&6ft tall at the time, only lost one. Some are well over 20ft now. They haven't been a problem yet but I can see cutting some out in the future.

7. Member
    I cut 31 Pine trees from my property soon after we first moved in and don't have a single one left standing. I have no regrets about doing so either. I tried to talk some of my neighbors into doing so as well because of the damage they can cause due to storms. After a straight line wind storm and two hurricanes in the past two years the ones that took my advice saved themselves a lot of money, grief and damage. The ones they didn't cut them away from the property ended up with damaged homes and vehicles. The only thing pine trees are good for is making toilet paper.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

8. Member
    I have Blue Spruce on my property...They have been great trees and are absolutely beautiful but they are starting to get too big...So I may have to do something with them.
    One is almost perfect and would make a great Christmas tree for the capital...White pines and Scotch pines drop alot of needles ...Up here in Michigan there isnt much prettier than snowmobiling through an old pine lot with all the snow hanging on the trees..
    For me it is a toss up...I hate raking the mountains of leaves caused by oaks and maples..I rake leaves at the cabin from October through July because the leaves just blow around for 6 months after they have fallen...It would help if everyone on the lake kept up but that isnt going to happen..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

9. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    In the town in which I reside; if you have a pine tree(s) in your yard, it's only a matter of time before you have a pine tree(s) in/on your home... They're all dead/dying.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    In the town in which I reside; if you have a pine tree(s) in your yard, it's only a matter of time before you have a pine tree(s) in/on your home... They're all dead/dying.

Is that from the pine beetle issue y'all are having?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    I had two beauty right next door to my house. Squirrels used them to get to my roof and chew into it and build a nest.
    Down they came, no more squirrel problem

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Is that from the pine beetle issue y'all are having?
    Yep... southern pine beetle is the main culprit.
    Who controls John Gill?

Only good pine is a 2x4, and most of them aren't straight anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12