Thread: Bilstein shocks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Bilstein shocks

Got my amsoil service done, and rear shocks leaking. KYB installed, fronts stock(130k)...Took to off road shop local...$922 out the door with 5100 series all the way around on the truck and alignment. I knew my truck 13' obviously had a leveling kit of some sort installed....low n behold it had 2" spacers installed. He said I need to get those removed and the bilsteins are the best way. I researched some and was wondering first bbc hand if this seems like a decent decision to move on. I do not have the means to do myself so it's a shop related question.
    Last edited by Clif Kincaid; 10-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.

2. Member
    I bet you could find a shop to trade the install for some of your grill-masterpieces.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    So you have the 2” blocks to raise the front of your truck? If so, I would see no reason to change that set up, it works great on F150s. The Bilstein 5100s are great shocks, so if you want to go that way, no prob but the blocks on top of the front strut tower is a really popular way of raising a 4wd.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    So you have the 2” blocks to raise the front of your truck? If so, I would see no reason to change that set up, it works great on F150s. The Bilstein 5100s are great shocks, so if you want to go that way, no prob but the blocks on top of the front strut tower is a really popular way of raising a 4wd.
    Are blocks and spacers the same? I was told the angel on the suspension parts will wear out quicker and cause problems sooner that later. And travel of shocks are lessened with spacers. I tow a boat,haul stuff and am thinking about adding a tow behind camp trailer.

5. Banned
    Angle

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    mine is a 13, put 2" spacers on it the week i bought it (june of 13). got 160k on it and never an issue. its as tight as the day i bought it and still has the factory shocks on it. still rides and drives like new. now i dont do rock crawling or nothin like that though, but it does leave the pavement from time to time,,

as far as doing it yourself,,, it's not too terrible of a job on the ford,, i did mine then took it to the shop and had it aligned..
    you still own some tools don't ya?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

IMO, leveling the truck is purely cosmetic and I agree it looks better when not towing, I tow a lot so having/using the truck the way it was designed is more important to me. I recently put Bilsteins all the way around on my 2005 Tundra 4WD (170K). My 2000 Tundra came with Bilsteins and I used them for 250k and loved them. No issues towing, dirt roads or highways. They just plain work. I had a local shop rig the coil-overs for the front but installed them and the rears myself.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    same shocks i put on mine. 400$ for the shocks and an alignment was 75$. 922$ seems a little high

9. Member
    Spacers are fine as long as you don't do a bunch of offroading. The bilsteins are a better way to go but as long as your alignment went fine I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Bilstein 5100 shocks are around $400.00 on Amazon for the set. Fronts are a strut so a shop will charge maybe $300.00 including an alignment to install. I put them on every truck I own. Lifetime warranty! The 2 inch spacer is very common and is a much less expensive way to level the truck. Nothing wrong with it at all.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

11. Member
    Sounds like you are dealing with someone who knows and understands suspension's. That is not the least expensive way to level the truck but also the best way considereing all things involved. I did my GMC with the adjustable 5100 Bilsteins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Got my amsoil service done, and rear shocks leaking. KYB installed, fronts stock(130k)...Took to off road shop local...$922 out the door with 5100 series all the way around on the truck and alignment. I knew my truck 13' obviously had a leveling kit of some sort installed....low n behold it had 2" spacers installed. He said I need to get those removed and the bilsteins are the best way. I researched some and was wondering first bbc hand if this seems like a decent decision to move on. I do not have the means to do myself so it's a shop related question.

12. Banned
    The bilsteins are the right way to go,but 900 in high.

13. Banned
    I was going to say something about the price but meh. If you're happy its all good.

14. Banned
    Looks like they took care of a few things other than shocks... Dan

15. Member
    If you change the elevation of your truck body you might need to change your shocks. If you just put new ones on that could be more big bucks out the door.

Are blocks and spacers the same? I was told the angel on the suspension parts will wear out quicker and cause problems sooner that later. And travel of shocks are lessened with spacers. I tow a boat,haul stuff and am thinking about adding a tow behind camp trailer.
    everybody is a suspension expert, well, except the people who designed the trucks, when you go back have them do a complete bump steer evaluation too

i'm guessing they also told you that the Bilstein kit (which uses an "integrated" spacer) will keep you steering geometry correct thus eliminating any future premature suspension failures (in other words they are still using "spacers") that will minimally affect you front steering geometry, and will be the same as the spacers you are using now, but if you need shocks anyway, go ahead and make the change

the price you listed is somewhat fair considering the kit (for my truck anyway is around 450) but they are selling you more than the shocks and struts, looks like you'll get a free load of Bovine excrement

Last edited by m.t.hands; 10-13-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

17. Member
    I have the 5100’s on my 13 crew cab, they are on the highest setting. Drove and rode horrible (caster angle was way off factory). I installed a zone add a leaf in the rear and it’s back to driving great w/o the saggy rear look. With the 201pxl on the back it’s perfectly level.

18. Member

19. Member
    researched the Bilsteins for my 02 tahoe. Rock Auto had the best deal. Rear Bilstean 4600's with coils came to like $280 plus the fronts $160. then get them installed. The 5100 bilsteins are for trucks with lifts. if you are getting rid of the lift then you can save yourself some $ being that the 4600's are the same (as I was told by shock warehouse or something like that).
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rhsvipre View Post
    I have the 5100’s on my 13 crew cab, they are on the highest setting. Drove and rode horrible (caster angle was way off factory). I installed a zone add a leaf in the rear and it’s back to driving great w/o the saggy rear look. With the 201pxl on the back it’s perfectly level.
    Hmmm....I'll bring this up before I take my truck in. I will ask how he will handle the issue if this happens. He seemed confident in his 30+ years of 4x4 truck mechanical work. I have O other than saying what I want done. Even this thread has me second guessing if I'm spending more than needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast