2019 520C Motor Height

Curious what guys with 520C and the new Merc 4 stroke are running for motor height with a normal load (poles, 36V TM, etc). Is the factory setting pretty much dialed in or have you guys found a different height that works better? The boat I'm getting has a manual plate and I'm looking for a good starting point.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Curious what guys with 520C and the new Merc 4 stroke are running for motor height with a normal load (poles, 36V TM, etc). Is the factory setting pretty much dialed in or have you guys found a different height that works better? The boat I'm getting has a manual plate and I'm looking for a good starting point.
    Following.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

3. Member
    I would invest in a hydraulic plate. You'll never get the maximum performance out of the boat without it.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Is the torque master 2 that’s on the pro xs opti the same that’s on the 4 stroke? Cus if it’s the same I’m assuming engine heights would be the same between the two? My 520c with a opti runs 2.5” ptp with a fury. 2.25 with a tempest. Had to raise my 8” slide master about 1 inch to get to 2.5”. Hope this helps...
    2016 Ranger Z520c/ Mercury Pro XS 250 (2B230637)

5. Member
    Mine measures 4" below pad. Seems awfully low but I have nothing to base it on. The TM2's on Opti's liked 2.75 or so for a Fury. Anybody found a motor height they like? I got a man. plate and a few months before I can run it. I'd like a good baseline to start with.

6. Member
    Anybody?

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Bob, I’ve searched fairly far back in forum posts and am seeing very little hard data in terms of prop to pad settings. Maybe it’s out there, but I didn’t find it yet. I did see two or three mentions that the 4 stroke XS on the 520C and L hulls does not like to run as high as the 2 strokes did. So with that in mind—unless someone chimes in with a measurement report—perhaps a good starting point would be 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches. There are a couple of reports of guys starting at 2 3/4 inches, because that’s what they’d run on their 2-strokes, but found that the boats did not lift or run well at that height. Best I can do for now!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Bob, I’ve searched fairly far back in forum posts and am seeing very little hard data in terms of prop to pad settings. Maybe it’s out there, but I didn’t find it yet. I did see two or three mentions that the 4 stroke XS on the 520C and L hulls does not like to run as high as the 2 strokes did. So with that in mind—unless someone chimes in with a measurement report—perhaps a good starting point would be 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches. There are a couple of reports of guys starting at 2 3/4 inches, because that’s what they’d run on their 2-strokes, but found that the boats did not lift or run well at that height. Best I can do for now!
    John, thank you for your reply. I understand with the 4 strokes being new data will be hard to come by. 3 1/2 seems to be a good starting point on most rigs, so I might start there. I really appreciate the info. Now, is there anything you can do to make spring get here quicker????

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Fingers crossed and lucky rabbit’s foot in pocket.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

10. Member
    Call the ranger rigging department and talk to them. Im sure they have performance information on your setup and can tell you why they rigged it that way.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Call the ranger rigging department and talk to them. Im sure they have performance information on your setup and can tell you why they rigged it that way.
    I called Ranger and talked to Bud. He was a great guy to talk to and said the best setup is with the jackplate flush (inner, movable section, flush with the outer plates). Basically how they set it at the factory. He said all 520C's (Merc motors) with manual plates are set this way and they have had no complaints. I will leave as is and run it in the spring. I must say it sure is nice being able to talk to the guy directly who sets them up for a living....

12. Member
    Keep in mind, they set these up for all factors including speed, rough water ride, hole shot...etc. If you want speed, its probably 1-2" too low.

13. Member
    It also depends on how much weight you are careing also, front boxes full to the top really effects them, one of the biggest advantages for using a hyd plate so you can adjust your plate for different water conditions and load!

14. Member
    I'll try it at the factory height and adjust from there I guess. I've PM'd some guys who have some good results with the factory setup and manual plate with speeds of 73-74 which is good enough for me. I'll see how mine runs in the spring. I know I'm damn excited to hear the sweet sound of that 4 stroke fire up for the first time....