mikesxpress

Fall maintenance tips

Checked the 2 engine strainers again and the lower one was still clean. I've done this 3 times since July 2018 to get a baseline of when they actually need cleaned. The upper one had two tiny stones lodged in the side ports. Looked like larger sand particles. Was able to push them in and they dropped out the larger holes in the bottom of the strainer/sprayer. I'll tackle the ones inside the lower clam shells in a bit.

I use my 4.6L V8 in brackish/saltwater allot and have always applied the Corrosion Guard to all the bolt heads, clamps, brass, screw in sensors, and any exposed aluminum. Keeps everything looking like new. I've never seen it discussed on here but even if you only dunk yours in freshwater it keeps any corrosion from forming. *Newspaper off the alternator belt area so it doesn't get on the belt or belt drive parts.

Corrosion guard

Strainers

2. Member
    Thanks for the info, helpful for sure.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Added to the V6/V8 Topics (in the FAQ Section), along with several other useful threads.

Note: Some later models have a slightly different strainer configuration (a yellow, removable cap, specifically).

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-30-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Are there Strainers on the 4 Cylinder?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES FROM A V6 FOURSTROKE (175 ProXS in this case):

Water Hose at Strainer Basket:

V6-Strainer-Hose.jpg

REMOVAL OF TOP-CAP (8mm Socket Required):

V6-Strainer-Disassembly.jpg

BASKET-STRAINER, NOTE THE OPENING THAT MUST BE ORIENTED CORRECTLY

V6-Strainer.jpg V6-Strainer-Basket-Orientation.jpg

AND SIMILAR TO MANY LATER V8's, THERE IS AN UPPER (YELLOW) STRAINER THAT SIMPLY UNSCREWS:

V6-Upper-Strainer.jpg

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    Don how about a picture of the strainer(s) located inside the lower clams?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea, Mike. I'll snap a couple of pictures of the next one I have out.