Fishing the Savannah River

Bass fishing any good, where to put in, what to look out for. Have never been on it let alone fish it but wondered if it is any good. Only decent ramp I have seen is the one at No. Augusta. I seen some posts to fish below the lock & dam but where is a ramp & how below the dam. Also, why is it better below th lock & dam?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Member
    They have CATT tournaments on the river. Check the results out there. I don’t think the weights are in the 20s but they seem to have some tournaments in the high teens. It will probably tell ya what ramp they use. I believe the ramp they use is down river a good ways from N Augusta

Thanks g-string. CATT uses only two ramps on the Savannah. Stokes Bluff & Hardeeville. Both over 2 hrs from me. I don't fish tournaments anymore, especially team & ones you can fish solo. Just looking for something close, as No. Augusta is to me. The Lock & Dam ramp is OK but above the lock & dam. Don't know how the fishing is since I've never been on it or know anyone that fishes it. I normally go to Murray or Clarks Hill but was looking for something different. Guess I'll just have to go & paddle around, LOL.
    Again, thanks for your time & response.

4. Member
    You got:
    1. (SC side) Below the Clarks Hill dam ....... Watch out for the old bridge pilings that cross the river near that ramp.
    2. (SC side) Deep Step ...... better be a John boat or canoe/kayak ....... dirt road ramp.
    3. (Jo-Ja side) The ramp that's off Riverside Park near Hwy 28 ...... just know it can be a ZOO. Most of the rowboat regatta think they own that ramp and have no problem jumping into the way.
    4. (Downtown Gangsta 'Gusta) the ramp at that Augusta Riverwalk Marina and another at the Boathouse Community Center (where they used to launch at for the Augusta Southern Nationals Drag Boat races).
    5. (bad side of river still) The Lock & Dam ramp just above the lock.
    6. (Jorja side) The boat ramp just below the Lock & Dam called Lock & Dam Boat Landing.
    7. (SC side) The Jackson boat ramp ........ way down a dirt road ......... great place to lose a windshield or end up with a warped toolbox lid.

I've spent the first few years fishing a lot of this when I moved to the area 14yrs ago ..... mostly from my duck boat and/or a kayak. I learned to quit wasting my time bass fishing it. You can catch a few dinks if you fish hard for them. The 'good' Savannah River fishing is in the lowcountry so I've been told. Now, I just go to Clarks Hill or Russell.

Good Luck!
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

Thanks 391, good info. Not really interested in fishing the river so much as to have a place closely to check my boat if I need to put it in the water. The Hammond Ferry ramp in N. Augusta seems to be a decent ramp with parking. I just don't know anything about the river as to run or not to run. BTW, how does Russell compare to Clarks Hill now. Haven't fished it since they made Hartwell. Usually go to Murray or CH.