Lower Unit Drain Plug Tool

My marine dealer showed me this little gem the other day. Couldn’t get the LU drain plug out of my Honda. This tool popped it right out using a ratchet. Fits flush to the plug, and the flat protrusion is perfectly sized for the slotted plug. Beats the hell out of a flathead.
    Fits Honda, Yamaha, and Mercury as far as I know.
    It’s called a K&L Supply Drain Plug Removal/Installation Tool SKU - 35-69001
    I ordered one by phone the same day I saw it used. $35.00
    7A0D2A3E-6168-4E48-B497-D94D1AB29ABB.jpeg
    https://www.klsupply.com/general-equ...l-35-69001.asp
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Member

3. Member
    That's pretty neat. My Etec uses an annoying hex head that I always am afraid will strip out.

$35 ?

5. Member
    I bought a Milwaukee demolition screw driver from Home Depot because I could not get the top vent screw on my lower unit out on my Verado 300 pro. I tried and tried with a regular flat head 3/8 size, 8 inch handle and it would not break free. I bought one of these and it came right out.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...2860/302212554

6. Member
    Always use the biggest (and best) screwdriver that will fit in the slot. It might not be the right thing to do but I hit my screwdriver handle with a hammer to ensure it goes all the way into the slot and to shock the threads IF I have any problems.

Bought this monster Dewalt Screw Driver that the head fits the drain plug slot perfectly with no play

Add to that the shaft has a 1/2" hex that when you put a boxed end wrench on it there is no choice for the plug its coming off!

Just lean into the screw driver and turn the wrench

"The handicapped angler"

The screwdrivers that fit properly are called “hollow ground”. Your friendly high end tool truck will have one that fits. Get the biggest handle you can get- or buy the socket my man started the post about. Its perfect.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    The screwdrivers that fit properly are called “hollow ground”. Your friendly high end tool truck will have one that fits. Get the biggest handle you can get- or buy the socket my man started the post about. Its perfect.
    If I think it's necessary I will hollow grind a blade tip. One must have a good wheel, expertise, and not over heat the end or it will destroy the temper and become soft.
    I used to work on air cooled Volkswagens, and the cooling tin was held together with large straight slot screws. You learn a lot about screws that way.

10. Member
    I had to get a cheap (manual) impact screwdriver for my Yamaha LU. The PO had chowdered the head badly, and I was only gonna get one shot at it. Worked as planned:) I hear that a Merc plug will fit, and is constructed better.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    I had to get a cheap (manual) impact screwdriver for my Yamaha LU. The PO had chowdered the head badly, and I was only gonna get one shot at it. Worked as planned:) I hear that a Merc plug will fit, and is constructed better.
    Do they have different threads?

12. Member

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    $35 ?
    Only source I’ve found for that tool. Reasonable if will last for years. Some other good options shown. I just prefer the added torque you can get with a socket and ratchet.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    An impact screw driver works well also(hammer type, not electric)
    2015 Ranger 620vs
    2015 Mercury 250 ProXS, 9.9 Bigfoot Kicker
    24P Brovo I FS

15. Member
    + impact screw driver

16. Member
    Now that is cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Bought this monster Dewalt Screw Driver that the head fits the drain plug slot perfectly with no play

Add to that the shaft has a 1/2" hex that when you put a boxed end wrench on it there is no choice for the plug its coming off!

Just lean into the screw driver and turn the wrench

17. Member
    I'll take the allen head screw on my e tec any day over a flat head screw, but that looks like a nice tool.