M S Slammer Wake Bait (Small 7" / 1.75 Ozs)

So I been reading a lot about the different kinds and sizes of these swimbaits. I have 2 of the 168 S-Wavers, though I have never thrown them. I also have the BBZ-1 Spro Rat which I have caught 1 decent LM with. Would like to possibly get a couple more and was looking at the M S Slammer in the 7" Black/Yellow. What are everyones thoughts on throwing the bigger swimbaits here in New England? I talked to a guy last weekend that had just won a Kayak Tourney locally, throwing just a bigger swimbait, all day. Just wondering if they are worth the money and Hype. Do you throw them out in the open, along shoreline/Banks, edge of weeds etc.? And what action/power Rod and Reel set up? I have a Frog Rod set up, which is a 7' Heavy power rod and use a Daiwa Tatula TWS Baitcaster Reel. Not sure on the ratio. The 7" M S Slammers seem reasonably priced at around $50. Does anything around that price range seem to work better than any others?

Well I'm in the north (ND) and an average big bass is 4.5-5.5 pounds. After throwing s waiver168 we have caught plenty of 2 pound smallies and largies with it, the thing will be timing, we have confidence in them and will throw them. I have caught many good bass on muskie baits that's are larger than the 168 may even throw 9" baits when the time is right looking for a trophy I have got 5 rite at 7 pounds and am at a point I want to break my pb. Just have to realize they are not a numbers game and you have to stick with it to get your confidence up. The kayak win. Did he say anything like he only caught 5 fish? Wouldn't surprise me. But also wouldn't surprise me if he got 10 2 pounders that day too. "Fish don't have hands, so if they are curious they have to put it in their mouth" simple saying easy to exploit since they may not even be eating to eat but to kill just to stop a disturbance

I use a 7'9" stcroix mojo bass swimbait rod it is a heavy fast, but it started as a 2x4 and I used it for muskies for a while and seemed to loosen up a bit and I like it for this application. I use a 7.1 ratio but wouldn't shy from a 8/1 maybe even a 9/1

As far as line I am no pro but 20 pound mono is currently on with no issues may go up to 50 braid and 20 mono/flouro leader.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 10-12-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    There are 2 kinds of wake baits. Those with lips and those without lips. With lips, I think the 7" and 9" slammers are the best. I shave 1/8th" off the bottom of the lip so the bait stays on top and doesn't dive (Mike Shaw of MS Slammer advice).
    For lipless wake baits I like floating bull shads, when you can get them.

I highly recommend getting the southern trout eaters video as it shows hot to set up and fish these baits pretty well.
    http://southerntrouteaters.com/
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sout...l?from=southsb

4. Member
    I guess I am still unsure on when to throw them and where. I guess i'll have to invest in one of the MS Slammers in 7", and i'll be sure to shave 1/8" off as I want it to stay on top of the water. Thinking about the Bluegill pattern.

Water temps in spring 40-55 or 60-38 in the fall. Clear water tends to be important for the swaivers but ones with lips can call fish in murky water like the bbz1rat

when your looking for a big fish. Not numbers but you can also use them to prefish as if you can see the bait you will get lots of follows without hooking them.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    And throw the slammer anytime the water is 48* or higher.

7. Member
    Ok, Thanks everyone for your input. Greatly appreciated.

8. Member
    Got another question. I am looking at 2 different Rods. The Dobyns 806SB and the Okuma Guide select in the 1-6 Oz size. The Dobyns is Fast action and Heavy power. The Okuma is Moderate Fast action and Heavy power. I will be using the 9" M S Slammer on this rod. Which action is best suited, MF or F? Thanks guys.

9. Member
    The Dobyns 806 sb is what you want I throw my 9" slammers on a Dobyns fury 795 sb and it does a fine job.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

10. Member
    As expected, everyone worries about losing/breaking off their expensive lures. Whats my best bet to atleast try to minimize that from happening (Other than NOT using it... LOL)? I was told by someone whom is a professional YAK bass fisherman that he uses, 20 Lb test P-Line Tactical Fluoro. I have never used straight Fluoro, so kinda skeptical on it breaking off. I have a Duo Lock Snap on the Slammer, so it will move freely. I won't be fishing it around any downed trees etc , or atleast not throwing it deep into them, just around the edges, and along banks, weeds etc. Will I be ok, using the 20 Lb P-Line Tactical? Thought about the CXX but read where it has a lot of line memory. HELP ME OUT HERE, GUYS.

11. Member
    20 lb big game mono is what I use.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Watch out for the Eagles and any other fish-sniping birds you got around there.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

13. Member
    I use either 25 lb Silver Thread copolymer, or 65 lb braid. For throwing a big slammer, 20 ls is a little light. And as it's a surface lure, I would never use florocarbon, especially as it is very brittle in larger diameters.
    You need a big line and little stretch to set the hook, as you have to get the slammer moving while the bass is chomping on it. Big hooks need big line for a good hookset.

14. Member
    I'm a Jackall thrower. The Mikey Jr in ghost minnow is my go to bait. It is most awesome when I get parallel to weeds and burn it along the edges, as close as I can. When you have thick grass under water, say a foot or so, fish will appear right out of nowhere it seems. I won a tournament last Saturday in pouring down rain burning it over hydrilla in 5 foot of water. Another I like to use is the Mann's Baby 1minus. The older ones work best because of the eyelet position over the bill. I'm using a 7' 6" rod with a 7:1 ratio reel with 14lb mono. Holding the rod tip up until it starts swimming then bring it down to about 9:00
    If the thunder don't getcha, the lightning will.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbender View Post
    I'm a Jackall thrower. The Mikey Jr in ghost minnow is my go to bait. It is most awesome when I get parallel to weeds and burn it along the edges, as close as I can. When you have thick grass under water, say a foot or so, fish will appear right out of nowhere it seems. I won a tournament last Saturday in pouring down rain burning it over hydrilla in 5 foot of water. Another I like to use is the Mann's Baby 1minus. The older ones work best because of the eyelet position over the bill. I'm using a 7' 6" rod with a 7:1 ratio reel with 14lb mono. Holding the rod tip up until it starts swimming then bring it down to about 9:00
    I also use the Mikeys, but I like the standard and Sr. The standard is a good follow up in spinnerbait water. The Sr. stays on top a lot better. The Jr. in my waters (herring lakes)just catches little ones.

MS Slammer is truth.No hype.If you got the rod to throw it I would go with the 9".I use a Daiwa DX heavy Swimbait rod.Also have a Dobyns Fury 795sb which I use for my lighter swimbaits.Pictured are my top 5 NH bass all on Slammers except one.20 lb Big Game mono.Never had an issue.Pick a color you like and throw it.IMG_20191214_173654_527.jpg