Banned

SHO 200 - 250 OIL FILTER

Hey All

Does anyone know what Napa Gold , WIX, K&M, or MOBILE 1 oil filter for the Yamaha SHO 200 - 250 hp?

The Yamaha brand filter is way too expensive for what you get.

Thanks for your time and help

Dwayne

2. Member
    You look at SIM Yamaha
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Banned
    cant remember the model . but its a Ford oil filter.

4. Member
    This is what I posted on a thread a while back regarding this issue:

I wanted to post an update here regarding the use of aftermarket oil filters on Yamaha 4.2L outboards.

I purchased a few aftermarket filters (wix 51348XP, toyota 90915-YZZD3, and motorcraft FL910s). These filters all match the oem yamaha fiters in terms of thread pitch and gasket diameter, BUT.... there is an incompatibility issue that could lead to a major failure.

The male oil filter thread adapter on the engine side of these outboards protrudes out farther than it does in the automotive application. Because of this, the factory yamaha filter end cap has the threads recessed farther into the filter than any of the aftermarkets. All three of the aftermarket filters bottomed out the threads on the end cap before the gasket had enough pressure to seal properly. This will make it seem like the filter is tight, but could lead to a leak or gasket blowout and possible catastrophic engine failure.

If anyone is interested I can show pictures of exactly what I'm talking about. Please use an OEM filter to avoid this risk.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

5. Member
    I wouldn’t chance trying to cross reference a filter just to save a few bucks. Stay with Yamaha filter.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

6. Member
    It's possible to pay 17-21K for a new SHO engine and then try and save 3 bucks on a filter......this logic defies logic.....I question why? I believe Mr. Patten shared the right answer.