Thread: Carcal or Lynx

Carcal or Lynx

I planning on purchasing a new boat within the next 6 months. I've owned 5 new Rangers since the 80s with my latest being a 2014 Z521C with a SHO. I've narrowed it down to Caracal, Lynx, Z521L or Vexus VX21. I would appreciate some feedback on the Caracal and Lynx. I don't care about speed but want a boat that has excellent quality, very stable when fishing, has a good rough water ride, and is easy to drive. There are currently some good deals on left over 2019 Lynx, However, I'm not sure that the Lynx is all that easy to drive based on all the post I've read indicating it could be a challenge to get it on plane and may have a tendency to hook if you let off the throttle quickly. I live on lake with a lot of wave boats and sometimes I need to back off on the throttle quickly to prevent going airborne. If I'm running between 30 and 60 does the Lynx or Caracal have a tendency to hook if you back off on the throttle quickly. From what I have read I may need to trim down to prevent a hooking tendency but my first reaction would be to back off on the throttle.. I'm leaning toward the Caracal since it less expensive and like the layout but I'm not sure I would be satisfied going from a Z521C to the smaller Caracal. Any previous Ranger Z520 or Z521 owner feedback who have first hand experience with the Caracal would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Member
    Ranger quality has come back close to what it was which was VERY good; Bass Cat build quality is absolutely the best. Not speaking poorly of any other brand! Bass Cat style does not fit everyone, but the quality and durability are the best.

Bas Cat customer service is also the best! I know personally that Phoenix is also top notch and have heard other good reviews of others. But for absolutely the best BCB is the industry leader.

My experience is with the Ranger, Phoenix and Bass Cat. I actually have a 2019 Lynx that I am having to sell and may or may not be able to get back into one. So between the 521L and the Lynx: quality goes easily to the Lynx though the 521L is good; Fishability is almost too close to call but I would give the 521L the edge overall (clear winner offshore in bad weather but not nearly as nimble in the shallows and docks and such as the Lynx); rough water ride is Lynx hands down; however the ease of driving especially at WOT is the 521 hands down.

It definitely seems with the average accessories and tackle we normally carry these days and the default prop of 24 Fury 3, the Lynx will plow and could grab/hook on a new driver. This is not true for light loads. ALSO/BUT, if you use the right prop (24 Tempest Plus or 24 Fury 4 for heavier loads), take off with JP near the middle and then drop down at or near the bottom, it will run like a scalded dog, very easy to control (but u do have to Drive it much above 70), best ride in the rough stuff I have EVER been in, cuts waves, turns great, etc and have seen NO tendency to hook.

Honestly think you would be happy in all but the caracal (awesome rig but smaller; though tons of storage). From how I read your questions/concern though the Lynx comes out as the best. Hope this helps, feel free to pm me any questions u may have.

tight lines!

3. Member
    I find my lynx easy to drive, I've got 152 hours on in and haven't hooked it yet. I'm on Lake of the Ozarks and we have quite a few boat wakes. If you are interested in a caracal or lynx I'd try and find an owner nearby that would take you for a test ride.

4. Member
    The Lynx and Caracal are wide body models designed toward running big water. They are also performance hulls which require driver steering input at upper speeds. Both are very stable fishing platforms with a huge amount of storage.

I have only heard of once issue where a Lynx hooked. Normally its from having the Jack plate set too high. Letting off the throttle abruptly at 65-75 mph will definitely increase your chances of hooking a boat (any boat). 45-55 mph the chance are near zero with the jack plate set properly.
    Many first time BCB owners tend to run the JP too high and over trim. BCB's like the JP lower and less trim.
    As far as quality, get in one and check it out for yourself. You wont find a better made boat. No plastic trim. Another missed detail by many is the removable bilge hatches. Gives easy access to batteries, pumps and other accessories.

A couple of links below on driving the Lynx.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....highlight=lynx
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....highlight=lynx
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    Oh yes, sorry, where in TX are you? I’m in north central LA and if we can manage a schedule that will work for both of us I’d be happy to give you a ride!

6. Member
    John just come on over to Lake Fork and drive my Lynx then you will know.

The new BCB 203 Hybrid is everything you're wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    I planning on purchasing a new boat within the next 6 months. I've owned 5 new Rangers since the 80s with my latest being a 2014 Z521C with a SHO. I've narrowed it down to Caracal, Lynx, Z521L or Vexus VX21. I would appreciate some feedback on the Caracal and Lynx. I don't care about speed but want a boat that has excellent quality, very stable when fishing, has a good rough water ride, and is easy to drive. There are currently some good deals on left over 2019 Lynx, However, I'm not sure that the Lynx is all that easy to drive based on all the post I've read indicating it could be a challenge to get it on plane and may have a tendency to hook if you let off the throttle quickly. I live on lake with a lot of wave boats and sometimes I need to back off on the throttle quickly to prevent going airborne. If I'm running between 30 and 60 does the Lynx or Caracal have a tendency to hook if you back off on the throttle quickly. From what I have read I may need to trim down to prevent a hooking tendency but my first reaction would be to back off on the throttle.. I'm leaning toward the Caracal since it less expensive and like the layout but I'm not sure I would be satisfied going from a Z521C to the smaller Caracal. Any previous Ranger Z520 or Z521 owner feedback who have first hand experience with the Caracal would be appreciated. Thank you

8. Member
    I own a Lynx, ran a Caracal and fished a Caracal for 2 weeks and owned 3 520’s. I live on a very busy lake with boat wakes going in every direction. Big boat wakes! No problem for the Lynx or Caracal. The last 520c was ok too, But not as good in the choppy stuff. What I love about the lynx is the way she fishes. She sits solid as a rock . No rocking back and forth as partners move around and the wind doesn’t blow her around at all. None. Lynx does need the jackplate down. I also found that you don’t want to load her front heavy. Keep the weight to the rear and lighter stuff up front. Ronnie Gilbert worked-my 24 fury 3 and it’s perfect with the addition holes drilled to help hole shot. I have about 120 hours on the lynx and can’t think of any boat I would rather be in. The Caracal too was about the same as a Lynx but I don’t feel Caracal is as weight sensitive. Storage in the Caracal is amazing, so much room. Going fro a 520 or 521 to a Lynx is as easy a move as you can make. I don’t think you give up anything and pick up Basscat ride,quality and support. If you have any other particulars you would like to know just ask. Good luck in whatever you decide.

9. Member
    All, Thanks for the excellent and detailed input. The following are the important points:
    1. “but not nearly as nimble in the shallows and docks and such as the Lynx” when comparing the 520l to the Lynx. My Z521c feels like a barge sometimes when maneuvering aground stumps or docks.
    2. “
    Normally its from having the Jack plate set too high. Letting off the throttle abruptly at 65-75 mph will definitely increase your chances of hooking a boat (any boat). 45-55 mph the chance are near zero with the jack plate set properly”. I very seldom run I the 70s and when I do there is light boat traffic. I typically run 55 to 60. Is a jack plate needed for a good hole shot? My Z521c with the 250 SHO planes immediately with a load.
    3. “
    As far as quality, get in one and check it out for yourself. You wont find a better made boat. No plastic trim. Another missed detail by many is the removable bilge hatches. Gives easy access to batteries, pumps and other accessories.” This is a big deal. The Z521c plastic trim is PIA to keep looking good. And easy access to the bilge area will be welcomed.
    4.“
    Big boat wakes! No problem for the Lynx or Caracal. The last 520c was ok too, But not as good in the choppy stuff. What I love about the lynx is the way she fishes. She sits solid as a rock . No rocking back and forth as partners move around and the wind doesn’t blow her around at all.” I need to get ride on rough day to check a Lynx out. I live close to Fort Worth.

Thanks again

10. Member
    I have let off the gas quickly in my Lynx (with a 300) and experienced a quick little change of direction, but nothing scary or dangerous. I run the engine a little high for speed. If you are not a hot dog you will not come close to hooking it. It is surprisingly maneuverable in shallow water and tight spaces, you will forget you are in such a large boat. It definitely drives different than my Cougar, but it's a much bigger boat and you adapt to it. The hole shot takes more thought than in a Ranger, you will want a hydraulic plate and you need to raise it if you are loaded, then drop it down a little to run. If you are light, not necessary to raise it. But I wouldn't have this boat without a hydraulic plate.

11. Member
    John, regarding your last post: #2 I absolutely would not get a Lynx without a Hydro Plate; will work without but vastly better with as it likely it really deep when running and less so for hole shot or light load at WOT. #4 Fort Worth is not horribly far for me; I am slammed right now at work but would be very happy to meet you maybe around Cross lake or similar between us if we can find a time that works. Shoot me a PM sometime and we can see if something works. I am sure I will plan a trip to Toledo at some point but not sure how soon or if I will still have the Lynx then or not.

Tight Lines

12. Member
    A timely post for me as I stopped by my dealer yesterday to have a look at the new Jag, but he will not have one to view until December. I am in a Ranger 520-L currently.
    He did have a Lynx and I spent some time in the boat. Obviously the lay out is unique to BCB; the non symetrical design did not put me off. Storage is abundant expecially for rods.

The cooler step up to the bow is tall and I did not care for that either going up or down, perhaps it's an age thing- I am no spring chicken.
    Behind the wheel was good, I liked the lay-out, driving position and location of the controls. I did not care for the position of the hot foot, it sits on a raised portion of the hull and is too high, plus it is at an angle also a by-product of that raised portion of the hull and felt awkward. I suppose like anything you can get used to it but these are my first impressions FWIW.

13. Member
    I have a '19 Caracal and the raised hot foot threw me off at first as well, but now I like it. Caracal fishes like a bigger boat than it is with big/wide front deck, as well as rides like it has an extra foot. I test drove it in a 15mph wind and took a rod with me to fish spot locked. With no load in the boat and limited gas it had a little bit of rock to it trying to fish up front. With the two tanks half full and all my gear, there is no sway and feels more like my old 21ft boat -- so just a heads up on that

14. Member
    I have a new Lynx, DC, with a 300 Merc 4s. This is my second Lynx, last years had a 250.
    comments here are dead on. 24 Fury, hydraulic JP, boat is weight sensitive up front, MUCH more than my Pumas were.
    just how you load it can change speed 8-10 mph. Hull really lifts and shines above 45 mph. Needs air under the hull.
    I think the rough water ride is better than a Puma, and I find it easier to drive above 75 than my Pumas.
    took me a little while to figure out storage, but got that down now.
    Very stable platform when fishing, and huge front deck accommodates two very easily.
    More room under the two back deck doors, and even with dual 30 gallon tanks, there is additional space along side each tank.
    So far, two years into the model, the only thing I would change on mine is to have separate tach and speedo smartcraft gauges.
    The single Merc Monitor gauge is hard for me to see. Overall, I love this boat, especially with the 300!

15. Member
    Thank you all for your excellent feedback. I located a new 2019 Lynx but it has been sitting outside all year uncovered in the hot Texas sun. I can't believe the dealer left it outside and uncovered. Would this degrade the seats and the gelcoat? I'm really picky with the finish on my boats. The price on the Lynx is right. I priced a fairly loaded a Caracal with poles, smartcraft gauge, 12 and 10 inch Helix, Ultrex, and passenger console it came in around 73,000. I'm now considering the special package deals on the Cougar/Puma for 67K. I don't know if the Cougar front end would be too narrow and would I get comfortable with the forward location of the trolling motor. I'm an older guy and not very agile. Does anyone have any feedback on fishing stability and ride going from a 520 or 521 Ranger to FTD Cougar or Puma? The special packages comes with 24 volt Ultrex. Is that enough or would you upgrade to 36 volts. A 2020 Cougar would be at least 10k less than a comparably equipped 2020 Lynx.

16. Member
    Lynx all the way. I think? Picking my new one up Friday. 300. 4 blade fury. Gonna retire my 96 champ 191. Original owner. Keeping my 2013 puma. I sure hope I made a good decision. I ordered it before the hybrid was an option and I am a huge champ fan. Too proud to say I made a 90k mistake but that hybrid looks sweet. What ever you chose BCB is the best option in today’s market INMO. Good luck. JD
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS