Issue Sharing Trails - Carbon Units

I recently installed a Carbon 9 and 12. I have them networked via NMEA and Ethernet. Both units share maps, waypoints, etc however they are not sharing Trails. Any advice?

They don’t share trails

3. Member
    I have a buddy who said his share but he’s not sure on the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikeMN View Post
    I have a buddy who said his share but he’s not sure on the setting.
    There is no trail sharing . If you want trail on both units both units should be power on and trail activated in the menu
    Youre buddy is wrong

5. Member
    Thanks. I wonder why they wouldn’t share trails? Seems like a feature guys would use to avoid duplicity in data.

6. Member
    Maps are shared:
    A map card in one unit is visible in another unit via Ethernet.

Waypoints are synchronized:
    Waypoints created or existing in one unit are synced(copied) to other units via Ethernet. NEMA only units can copy waypoints created in one unit to another if both units are powered and active at the time of creation.

This differs from Humminbird where waypoints exist only on the unit created, but visible on other units via Ethernet.

Trails are neither shared or copied to other units.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    Maps are shared:
    A map card in one unit is visible in another unit via Ethernet.

Waypoints are synchronized:
    Waypoints created or existing in one unit are synced(copied) to other units via Ethernet. NEMA only units can copy waypoints created in one unit to another if both units are powered and active at the time of creation.

This differs from Humminbird where waypoints exist only on the unit created, but visible on other units via Ethernet.

Trails are neither shared or copied to other units.

That only applies to the discontinued number series and the Helix models.

Humminbird SOLIX units write waypoints to other SOLIX unit's memory.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    There is no need to share trails. Unlike way points, which are created manually, trails are automatic - once enabled. You want trails... enable that feature on any/all MFD’s that you want trails visible on.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    There is no need to share trails.
    I'm sure many users have saved trails like creeks, road beds, or for running.

10. Member
    I personally would love to have my trails available for sharing between units. I agree that you can enable the feature on all units however, for the same reason units share waypoints, I’d like the ability to avoid creating two or three trails for the same outing. I also use one unit as my master data for saving/backups. If users don’t want to see/share then that can just as easily be a setting a user could turn off or on per their preference, just like the waypoint sharing is now.

There are several features I’d like as well, like the ability to create lines, arrows, or manually draw/save info like you would a waypoint. Example, create an arrow indicating cast direction from a waypoint, or draw a circle around a general area rather than just one waypoint. MFD’s have evolved so much, these are simple features to add that I’m sure would be used.

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    There is no need to share trails. Unlike way points, which are created manually, trails are automatic - once enabled. You want trails... enable that feature on any/all MFD’s that you want trails visible on.
    If you're not saving trails you're not using you units to their full potential. I have hundreds of trails to mark bottom transitions, routes, depth changes, weedlines, etc. It does suck they cannot be shared via ethernet though. I develop a lot of mine on Google Earth and save just the trails as a .usr file to a SD card and import it to each unit individually.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

12. Member
    I agree @Alpine4x4. I fish the Great Lakes and some larger lakes in Michigan and can attest that trails are almost, if not as important, as waypoints. Smallmouth schools are generally in an area, which may or may not have specific structure/cover and drifting off your previous trail can mean the difference of getting bit or not. If I’m going off the console trail, that could be a difference of 10-17+ ft from the bow depending if you use the console unit’s gps or a puck on the rear of the boat.