Question Mariner 175 Trim Question

I recently purchased a 1984 Mariner 175 (serial # 5316460) to put on my 93 Ranger 361v. I was so focused on checking out the lower unit, compression etc. that I didn't catch the fact that the trim pump for this outboard is external, meaning it mounts inside the boat. The hydraulic lines are supposed to run through the lower two mounting bolts into the boat and to the pump. This won't work with a jack plate, and I really don't want to have to take it off. I feel stupid not realizing it before I purchased it, but now that I own the motor, I have to find a way to make it work. Do any of you have any experience with this configuration or have any suggestions on how to make this work?

2. Member
    I think your serial # indicates your motor is earlier than 1984. I have a 1984 Mariner 150 serial #6533039 with the external mounted trim motor, and my hydraulic trim lines don't go through the lower mounting bolts. I think that was the way they were set up on the late 1970's to maybe 1980 or 1981 motors. You might be able to convert to the later hydraulic hoses if you can find them or maybe have some made. The original Mercury part #'s for the later style hoses needed if they will adapt/convert are: Port hose -C-32-85033; Starboard Hose - C-32-85032; and Connector for starboard hose - C-22-87207.
    Last edited by OnTRAK; 10-12-2019 at 08:08 AM.

3. Member
    Is there a way to convert to a more modern trim unit? Are there companies that make aftermarket systems that might work?

4. Member
    I have , bolt it to j plate using lower bolts for trim get some longer hoses made to fit, there is no conversion, don't mess those bolts up prob never find any more good luck WC
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................