2003XB questions

Well as life progresses things change and so do your needs I have been really looking into a bass boat that seats 4 comfortably for the family. Realistically 2003xb is in my price range to pick up. Now coming from a 21xl magnum Stratos give me some pros and cons of the 2003xb I know they are lightning fast. But how would rough water ride compare. Storage space and overall fish ability. I don’t do many tournaments anymore but would still like to have a decent lovewel system. If any owners out there could post pictures of the compartments that would be awesome!

2. Member
    Pro's: Great ride, good storage, good livewell system, fast, very, very fun to drive, good rough water ride
    Con's: Getting to the front deck can be tricky, rod box takes some getting used to, learning to properly drive the XB2003 can be challenging.
    It's best if you can get an experienced Allison driver to go with you. They can show you how to prevent chine walk. Balance the boat side to side and front to rear. Always wear your life jacket and keep your kill-switch hooked up.
    Once you learn to drive the boat, you can't stop smiling!

3. Member
    I can try to take some pictures tomorrow but storage is fantastic. It can be a touch crowded with 3 big guys but me and some friends took mine out catching shad and running around the lake and had plenty of room for all our gear, nets, buckets, ice chests, etc. I have two young children and we all fit great.

Live well is quite large and nice, I have kept 40 plus sand bass in for a couple hours, heck I have even kept 20+ crappie alive and healthy for half a day. It is different than your normal layout but I like different. Mine only has a 150 right now so I can’t comment on the fast but I can say no one has passed me either.

4. Member
    The 2003 when driven correctly can be an amazing rough water boat, have to drive it much differently in rough water than the big stratos, but is “better” imo once you get it.

I loved everything about my 2003 except for these issues.

1. Getting to front deck and from front deck to livewell for tournies.
    2. Trying to fish in rougher water from the front deck, if you do a lot of “offshore” fishing in rougher water like deep cranking on ridges etc it’s going to drive you nuts.

I sold my 2003 years ago when I started heavy tourney fishing again and bought a 20’ bullet.

I’m out of the big tourney scene now and only do local “bayou” style tournies.

Just sold my bullet and will get another 2003 for the space for the fam/ kid etc for fun running and bobber fishing withbthem.

2003 is the best at something’s and the worst at others

depends on your expectations

if I could fit a 21’ ally in the garage I’d get one instead. The 4 seater “prosport” I think that’s kinda like a 21’ db2003

5. Member
    90 5.0 with a folding tongue Xb21 takes up less space than 2003 did ..... unless you added folding tongue to xb2003 trailer

6. Member
    Yeah I had to install one to get it to fit

7. Member
    I took two high school kids out on mine Saturday for a school tournament. I took all of my gear out, had my lunch cooler in front of the boat with a few drinks, 4 rods up front and 3 in the box, one small tackle box and one fairly large box, one kid was about 120lbs and the other was 350. With the big kid on the back deck the lake water was coming up over the rub rail onto the steps in the sponsors, I really hate that about my boat
    It gives me the feeling that it's going down.
    I figured out one thing though, if your fishing, when you shut off the big motor to fish a while go ahead and pull up the passenger seat and slide it up under the dash, makes force whole lot more room when there are 2-3 people.

8. Member
    I like the livewell better than any that I've ever saw. I took the divider out of mine and now when I catch the occasional walleye or striper I can put them in there with out curling them up in a circle.

9. Member
    PM me your number and I'll text you all the pics you need.

Biggest pro is wind protection. As said above, getting up on the front deck is a little different. Storage is nice on it. You have more width in the cockpit compared to a xb-2002 but the 02 actually has more leg room in the back seat. It's a little cramped back there. Getting in any Allison from the water is a bit more work with no ladder back there. I usually have my ski pole in just to have something to grab onto getting in from swimming. Some have used some steps bolted to the jack plate with various degrees of success. Rough water ride is pretty good if you keep the keel in the water and let the front vee slice thru the waves. I enjoy the heck out of driving mine though.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

ive had my 2003 for almost a year and love the boat for what i do, which is fun fish and river riding, as stated above it takes alittle getting used to walking around the console to get on and off the front deck, and rod locker can be a pain when i bring all my rods lol,, but the best thing about this boat is the wind protection i was out fishing the other day in the low 40's with just jeans and a sweatshirt,,and its fun to drive