No power to the up trim button on bow

So fishing last weekend the boat was out on a dock uncovered and I forgot to leave the auto bilge on and the boat took in a lot of water. Fast forward during the day fishing a tournament the motor started trimming up for no reason. We were able to stop it by just pressing down on the throttle. I guess I never hit the button again but yesterday fishing realized it’s not working. Thoughts on what it could be and how do I troubleshoot\fix?

Based on experience (twice) you may have pulled the wire(s) loose from the trim switch. They hang down in the rod locker, and can get tangled with a rod tip on occasion. I’ve done it twice. Finally rigged the wires with 90 degree terminals so they’re up higher, and close to the under side of the deck.
    Remove your TM plug mounting plate to access the wiring and switches.
    Just a suggestion on where to start.
    And the reason the trim started trimming up on its own is likely because the loose wire contacted the wire on the other switch terminal. Also experienced that when I popped the wire off one terminal.
    Go by Harbor Friehgt and buy the longest needle nose pliers they have. You’ll likely need them.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Member
    interesting, this is on a margay with a center rod box but maybe it contacted it. If I open the tm mounting plate will I be able to see up to it or is it something you have to do by feel?

4. Member
    It could be the switch?

Didn’t know what model. Was referencing my Sabre FTD with side rod lockers. The switches are wired towards the front of the passenger side locker. Doubtful that’s the case in a Margay.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    You have a bad relay or actuator, whichever you're motor has. You don't say which motor you're running. These relays work together with one carrying ground, the other hot when going one direction, then reversing for the other direction. When your motor started trimming up, the up relay was stuck, when you hit the down button it was feeding hot to both sides and no ground, so no circuit. Suggest changing the relay or actuator, depending on which motor you have.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Thanks John, it’s a 150 proxs