Fuel Pump Lift Kit

Suzuki Fuel Pump Lift Kit.jpg

Saw this on the Suzuki FB page and thought to share with you all. This applies to people who run their boats during the summer time when there is high ambient air & water temperatures and the motor will lose it's siphon and the fuel will evaporate in the VST after a long run without letting the motor cool down prior to shutting it down. I know that I have this issue with my 250SS since it's been new, especially if I don't let it idle for a few minutes after running it WOT. I read another fix was that people were getting new 350 low pressure fuel pumps.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

2. Member
    What symptoms are related to this issues? Are you having trouble restarting your engine after a run, or are you having problems while under way?

3. Member
    The issue that I have is that during the summer and after a long run, if I let it sit for an hour or so, it will continuously crank likes there's no fuel. Most days, it will start right up, but not during the summer time. If I pump the primer bulb, it will start right up.

4. Member
    If it does it again, turn the key off, wait a second or two, then turn the key on again. This will cycle the low pressure fuel pump a second time and may well see the engine start and run as normal. Worth a try anyway.

5. Member
    If you run non-ethanol fuel this might be less of a problem. I think ethanol evaporates or becomes a gas at a lower temperature than gasoline and would vapor lock easier. This sounds to me like vapor lock, just in a fuel injection setting.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    The issue that I have is that during the summer and after a long run, if I let it sit for an hour or so, it will continuously crank likes there's no fuel. Most days, it will start right up, but not during the summer time. If I pump the primer bulb, it will start right up.
    I have been having a similar issue with my DF140. During the summer, my engine would start and immediately shut off after a run. My issue was random which made it hard to pinpoint. I never had any issues with my engine starting first thing in the morning. I think my issue is related to a bad fuel demand valve or possibly the iac sensor, but thanks for the info on the fuel pump kit.

7. Member
    Well this makes me wonder if this was at least one of my problems from my over year of issues that many of you are familiar with.

Do you all think a certain fuel additive would help?

I've read so many threads on opinion about fuel treatment products ranging from those swearing they're snake oil to those who believe in them. Bottom line is I'm going to start using one with every tank of gas. So what should I use?

8. Member
    As far as fuel treatments go, Star Tron is pretty good stuff.

9. Member
    If your boat’s fuel tank has an anti-syphon valve incorporated into the take off barb, I suggest you remove it, they are nothing but trouble IMO and are a source of these kinds of problems. By design, they do create a certain amount of restriction to fuel flow, especially it low revs.

No outboard powered boats made here in Australia - I repeat - none - have these AS valves fitted to fuel tanks and our boats dont blow up or catch fire.... LOL!

Also we have seen a couple of reports over on the Suzuki forum over the years where replacing the black metal high pressure fuel filter resolved the issue. Not sure whether this may have been due to a faulty HP filter or accumulated debris, but anyway, its fixed the problem for a number of people.

And of course, checking fuel lines for even a small kink or restriction or leak in a join between hose/tank/primer bulb/water separating filter etc is recommended.

10. Member
    Reviving this thread.

I've been getting issues with engine shutting off during a warm spring/summer run. It's starts fine first thing in the morning, I can hear the lift pump. But if I fish for an extended period of time, when I start and run again, the engine shuts down. Can anyone confirm if this v6 lift pump fix worked for them?

11. Member
    So, I got sucked into watching you tube videos and ran across this page about a guide down in Mayport, FL who does his own maintenance on his Suzuki 250. I didn't realize this, but our engines has a fuel cooler hidden behind the VST and they are sometimes prone to clogging pending the type of water you run in. If this fuel cooler gets clogged, your fuel will basically vaporize and be hard to restart after a long run. I guess keep this in mind and maybe allow your motor to cool some in the summer months after a long run or have your mechanic check the fuel cooler to make sure it's not clogged.