Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Alright.... I got the new power distribution box (touch pad control box) from Ranger and still nothing. Drove a few hours to pick up a new touch pad at a dealer, still nothing. I CAN NOT figure this out. I am scratching my head with this.

2. Member
    Could it be something as simple as just not understanding how the keypad works…? I don’t intend this to be an insulting comment but even on my 2011 sometimes it takes (more than) a couple of times just to get it to fire up . Would the previous owner be willing to come over and mess around with it for a bit? Just a thought as he probably knows this rig better than anybody.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

3. Member
    Are you getting power to the keypad? Were you getting power to the old keypad? Tested at the wires going in.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmith29040 View Post
    Alright.... I got the new power distribution box (touch pad control box) from Ranger and still nothing. Drove a few hours to pick up a new touch pad at a dealer, still nothing. I CAN NOT figure this out. I am scratching my head with this.
    Does your new keypad “wake” or light up when a button is pushed? What sequence of numbers are you entering? On a new keypad until you change the code it should be start 1-2-3-4 start then start again holding for a couple seconds to crank.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    Does your new keypad “wake” or light up when a button is pushed? What sequence of numbers are you entering? On a new keypad until you change the code it should be start 1-2-3-4 start then start again holding for a couple seconds to crank.
    Exactly how my 2012 is^^^^^
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Are you getting power to the keypad? Were you getting power to the old keypad? Tested at the wires going in.
    Yes 12.77 volts on the red 12v network wire on both console and bow harness that plugs to touch pads.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinLA13 View Post
    Could it be something as simple as just not understanding how the keypad works…? I don’t intend this to be an insulting comment but even on my 2011 sometimes it takes (more than) a couple of times just to get it to fire up . Would the previous owner be willing to come over and mess around with it for a bit? Just a thought as he probably knows this rig better than anybody.
    Not taken as an insult at all. No lights light on the touch pad what so ever. I have read the manual over and over to make sure i was not missing anything, but I can not get the system to "wake up" which will not let me get to the point of entering a 4 digit code.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    Will NOT wake up. No lights no matter what I do.

9. Member
    Let me ask this. On my boat (which coincides with the wring schematic on the rear lid) shows a "auto bilge" wire connected with a 5 amp fuse (which I have checked and replaced to be safe) to the battery. After reading the owners manual from the Ranger site, it says that the auto bilge will wake up the system. The bilge pump has a brown wire from the power distribution box (for manual operation) and a brown/orange 12v batt for the auto bilge float switch. If the auto float switch can "wake the system" could I have an issue with a faulty float switch or bilge pump causing the touch pad to not operate at all? Just to be clear, there are NO LIGHTS on the touch pad.

10. Member
    I would recommend pin testing each circuit at the controller and pads to make sure that they are absolutely getting what they should get, eg: 12V, Ground, "wake up" voltage if that is what schematic dictates. Do you have a schematic/pin out for the controller ? I had an issue with my 2018 pad, and was able to follow the schematic to pin out/ verify that the pad was receiving everything , condemned the pad which was accurate. But I do not recall if schematics were included for the controller ( I did not need them ). If you can get your hands on the schematic this would be the best way to verify voltages, breakers, grounds, wake up signals etc. are all good. No need to be going all over boat for this. I can also check my schematic at home this afternoon if you have nothing.May/may not be same.

~Tony

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I would recommend pin testing each circuit at the controller and pads to make sure that they are absolutely getting what they should get, eg: 12V, Ground, "wake up" voltage if that is what schematic dictates. Do you have a schematic/pin out for the controller ? I had an issue with my 2018 pad, and was able to follow the schematic to pin out/ verify that the pad was receiving everything , condemned the pad which was accurate. But I do not recall if schematics were included for the controller ( I did not need them ). If you can get your hands on the schematic this would be the best way to verify voltages, breakers, grounds, wake up signals etc. are all good. No need to be going all over boat for this. I can also check my schematic at home this afternoon if you have nothing.May/may not be same.
    I do not have a schematic of the pin locations on the controller. That would be helpful to have at this point.
    The dealer I bought the pad from suggested that I get a bypass key to help rule out any engine harness issues.

Also while researching I notice that I missed checking two fuses on the engine with one being the smartcraft circuit 2 amp fuse. This boat does have a smartcraft gauge installed. Any logical way that this fuse could cause this issue?

12. Member
    Sorry, been away. Has this been resolved ? tsmith, If not resolved, I can check my owner's manual this afternoon at home. I don't recall any module pin out , but will double check. Same with 2 amp fuse

~Tony

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sorry, been away. Has this been resolved ? tsmith, If not resolved, I can check my owner's manual this afternoon at home. I don't recall any module pin out , but will double check. Same with 2 amp fuse
    Not resolved yet. Hopefully on the right track to get this fixed, but waiting on the front touch pad. I have spoken to Ranger service a couple of times but they couldn't answer my questions. I was told that I needed to speak to Kody Bradberry as I assume he is the guru on the subject. I have left him multiple voice mails and no return call. I believe that I have narrowed it down to the front touch bad being fried. I have tried it with the front touch pad disconnected but still get nothing (no lights on the console touch pad). Mike at Ranger says he is "pretty sure" that the system will not work with any piece of the puzzle disconnected. He also said he is not 100% sure of this as Kody would be the better person to tell me for sure. I had a good friend of mine that works with CAN bus systems for a living, walk through the diagnostics with me and we have correct voltage everywhere we are supposed to. He took the wiring diagram (downloaded from Rangers website) to work and sat down with his electrical engineer at work. The engineer came to the same conclusion that Ranger had told me. The system has to terminate somewhere and since the front touch pad is the last piece in the puzzle, that would be the point that the network would terminate. Spoke to Ranger parts and they are sending me a bow touch pad. I also give the parts dept at Ranger props because she has told me twice that if I find out that I did not need a certain part they would take it back. I hope I am on the last leg of the journey. On a positive note, I know a lot more about how this system works that I ever did on the last two Tritons I have had with touch pads. I will update towards the end of the week.
    Thanks again for everyone trying to help on this.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    following

There is a possibility you fried the computer on your motor. Don't ask me how I know. Simon Motorsports can fix it if this is the case. This is probably not the case since the touchpad is not lighting up at all but if the bow touch pad doesnt fix it you may want to get a mechanic to hook up the computer on the motor and make sure its in working order.
    Last edited by PumaMatt; 10-24-2019 at 10:40 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PumaMatt View Post
    There is a possibility you fried the computer on your motor. Don't ask me how I know. Simon Motorsports can fix it if this is the case. This is probably not the case since the touchpad is not lighting up at all but if the bow touch pad doesnt fix it you may want to get a mechanic to hook up the computer on the motor and make sure its in working order.
    This terrifying thought has crossed my mind. I ordered the bypass key as well as bow touch pad so that if the bow touch pad doesn't fix it, I can at least rule out any engine problems. Plus its never a bad idea to keep a bypass key in the boat.

17. Member
    This terrifying thought has crossed my mind. I ordered the bypass key as well as bow touch pad so that if the bow touch pad doesn't fix it, I can at least rule out any engine problems. Plus its never a bad idea to keep a bypass key in the boat.
    If you were closer, you could have borrowed mine. Sure hope the front touchpad fixes the issue. Keep us posted and good luck!
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

18. Member
    When you check voltage where are you finding a ground? It sounds like the pad might not be grounded?

19. Member
    pafoster, I was wondering if it was a ground issue as well.

20. Member
    Guys,
    You assessment of the diagram is incorrect, the batteries in the schematic are connected in parallel, i.e. positive is to positive and negative is to negative resulting in 12v, not 24. See the example of parallel vs. series connections below. I hope my degree in electronics engineering from Texas A&M can convince you that this is coming from a reputable source even though I'm sure I'll get some ribbing for this :)
    edited InkedScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.27.37 AM_LI.jpgInkedorig Inked37907202324_a446a8d65d_o_LI.jpg
    1sharphook,
    You're are absolutely correct. The shared ground (as listed as note 2 in the diagram) was connect from negative on trolling battery #3 to positive terminal on cranking battery. No problem until you turn the selector switch to battery #2 or jump position.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .204 Ballistic 300R - Speed, Ride, Fishability!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast