Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I am looking forward to hearing what the issue is. Also pay no mind to members like Doctor JJ. There is absolutly no call for his rude comment.

2. Member
    Spoke to Mike at Ranger service and he said 24 volts going into the touch pad control box (brain box) could have taken out the box, both console and bow touch pads. He advised me to start by replacing the control (brain) box first. Not pleased getting a boat home and spending $450 the next day to be able to use the boat.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmith29040 View Post
    Spoke to Mike at Ranger service and he said 24 volts going into the touch pad control box (brain box) could have taken out the box, both console and bow touch pads. He advised me to start by replacing the control (brain) box first. Not pleased getting a boat home and spending $450 the next day to be able to use the boat.
    Is there any way you can check to make sure you were getting 24V to the control box before you start throwing parts at it?

4. Member
    I wasn’t trying to be rude. It seemed like that’s what was implied. I apologize if I didn’t understand.
    There have been some shenanigans reported on here when it comes to boat buying and selling. You never know.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Is there any way you can check to make sure you were getting 24V to the control box before you start throwing parts at it?
    Unfortunately I verified that last night with a volt meter at the power connections on the control box. I was hoping there may have been an inline fuse in the line going to the touch pad causing the problem, but according to Ranger service there are none. I am going to study the wiring diagram tonight in hopes I find something else but it isn't look good so far. If I have to replace both touch pads I am into this boat over $1100 the day after purchasing. I will post updates when i get them. Thanks everyone for weighing in.

6. Member
    That is why this board is so great, we help each other.

7. Member
    Unfortunately I verified that last night with a volt meter at the power connections on the control box. I was hoping there may have been an inline fuse in the line going to the touch pad causing the problem, but according to Ranger service there are none. I am going to study the wiring diagram tonight in hopes I find something else but it isn't look good so far. If I have to replace both touch pads I am into this boat over $1100 the day after purchasing. I will post updates when i get them. Thanks everyone for weighing in.
    So everything worked OK when you water tested this boat. What changed?

8. Member
    I would disconnect the starting battery pos/neg for 15 min and see if it "resets" the brainbox.

Don't know if this will help or not but I had the exact same boat once. I had to replace the touchpad at the console twice. Once Ranger paid for it, once I had to pay for it. Turns out it is very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. After the second replacement, I noticed the replacement touchpad looked a little different than the other two. I simply thought the original touchpad was improved with a replacement and I never had any further trouble out of it while I owned that boat. If all your breakers are on, wiring is correct, I would presume you do in fact have a touchpad problem. Just my two cents for what it is worth.
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    Don't be a dick DoctorJJ, the OP is asking for help and this is what this Ranger board is all about.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    I think I already know the answer to this but I hopefully you guys can help. Got my new to me 2012 Z520 home tonight checking things out and went to turn boat on and could not get anything to come on. Pressed the start button, entered code, pressed start again, nothing. Switch battery switch to battery #2 still nothing. After checking some things I found that the batteries wired incorrectly. Ground from trolling motor battery negative was ran to positive on cranking battery. Positive from trolling motor battery was ran to jump/run switch. I believe that when I switched to battery #2 it sent 24v to console (touch pad controller). I have corrected the battery wiring issue but nothing I do will turn on the touch pad, nor front touch pad. Am I screwed on a boat I just purchased or is there something I am missing? If it fried, would I need to replace touch pad control box or touch pad, or both? HELP PLEASE!
    hey i was thinking go into the fuse box in one of your compartments and check all the fuses with a fuse tester to see if one is blown.. i think ranger puts a fuse on just about every thing so a power spike wont do these kinds of things. i have a little yellow one you get with a fuse kit and all you have to do is touch the tops of the fuses and little green light comes on. Just a guess befor you have to buy so much. i will pray for you buddy

I'm lost here...why would you change wiring on a boat that tested perfect the week before? Since you did that Im going assume you started with the basics like the main breaker and discharged batteries? One of your trolling batteries is absolutely going to be wired to your perko/jump switch. How would it function as a second battery otherwise? Really hoping you didn't create your own problem.

Assuming your trolling system is 36 volts you should be wired as this schematic indicates.

IMG_1927 by dean c, on Flickr

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    So everything worked OK when you water tested this boat. What changed?
    The only thing that I can figure out is that when I got it home I did not go through the starting sequence correctly (start, 4 digit code, start). Since the touch pad did not come on when I tried to enter the code, I switched the battery selector to battery #2, tried again. Got nothing from touch pad. I then called the previous owner for direction. He said sometimes he had to hit the start button twice at the end of the sequence (start, code, start, start again). I tried with him on the phone, nothing. At this point I started checking connections for power and found the battery wiring problem. So in retrospect, I did not press the start button twice thus not completing process, switched to battery #2 (sending 24 volts to touch pad controller) and that is where I am now. FYI, the previous owner said he has never turned the battery switch to anything but off and on/run positions. I can only assume this is why he never knew the his "mechanic" installed the battery cables incorrectly. I hope I am explaining this so that everyone understands that I do not believe the the seller was trying to screw me, just unfortunate turn of events for me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vicsservice View Post
    I would disconnect the starting battery pos/neg for 15 min and see if it "resets" the brainbox.
    Thank you for the experienced input. Ranger suggested the brain but they did agree to take it back if we find that it is the touch pad. So far (and I am coming from owning 2 Tritons) Ranger parts and service has been extremely helpful and friendly.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger521znem View Post
    hey i was thinking go into the fuse box in one of your compartments and check all the fuses with a fuse tester to see if one is blown.. i think ranger puts a fuse on just about every thing so a power spike wont do these kinds of things. i have a little yellow one you get with a fuse kit and all you have to do is touch the tops of the fuses and little green light comes on. Just a guess befor you have to buy so much. i will pray for you buddy
    I haven't found a fuse box yet, but i will DEFINITELY check this out. Thank you

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    Dean,

If I understand this correctly:

This connection would put the crank battery and troll battery in series when he selected BATT 2. This means both his engine and boat saw 24 volts when he selected BATT 2.

1sharphook,
    You're are absolutely correct. The shared ground (as listed as note 2 in the diagram) was connect from negative on trolling battery #3 to positive terminal on cranking battery. No problem until you turn the selector switch to battery #2 or jump position.

I just reread the entire thread and saw in post 10 that the previous owner who I assume is the orginal owner never used BAT 2 or Jump..so this is an unfortunate circumstance for the new owner that either Ranger or a dealer rigged the damn thing completey wrong which doesn't surprise me at all. A very unfortunate coincidence of probably dead battery and then the attempt of a bat 2 start with an incorrectly wired perko.

OP...sincerely sorry for your issue...but if you did indeed send 24 volts up that circuit..I'm betting your brain is fried...touch pads might be as well.

18. Member
    The "touch pad" on my 2013 (2012 hull) is extremely sensitive ..... push too hard and will flicker twice or push too lightly and the button press will not register at all.
    As you are entering your code, make sure the "light" next to the start button only flashes once. It is not unusual for me to have to enter the code two or three times before it registers correctly.
    This would have been the first thing to troubleshoot ..... not getting the code entered and dismantling your wiring, on a boat that may just have a sensitive keypad was probably not the right move.

Good Luck ..... you are not screwed.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael49 View Post
    The "touch pad" on my 2013 (2012 hull) is extremely sensitive ..... push too hard and will flicker twice or push too lightly and the button press will not register at all.
    As you are entering your code, make sure the "light" next to the start button only flashes once. It is not unusual for me to have to enter the code two or three times before it registers correctly.
    This would have been the first thing to troubleshoot ..... not getting the code entered and dismantling your wiring, on a boat that may just have a sensitive keypad was probably not the right move.

Good Luck ..... you are not screwed.
    I cant get any lights on the touch pad to light.
    Thanks for the well wishes.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    I cannot find an electrical diagram for the switch itself. However, I believe there is a possibility that IF the switch was put in the jump position when incorrectly wired, it would dead short the TM battery. This means no circuit protection with the weakness being the switch contacts themselves.

Burnt contacts just might explain no power to your pad. I recommend that you inspect the switch for this failure mode.
    Thank you sir for this and the PM. I replied to the PM also.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast