Falcon 195 + Suzuki DF200 break in comprehensive impressions/review

I made the decision to sell the 1987 Ranger 375v after my 1987 Yamaha Pro V started having issues. Compression was good and I maintain the motor myself so I knew the issue wasn't that serious, but I was outgrowing it and wanted something bigger and more modern.

I searched for about a month looking at used boats. Several caught my eye, all used. I was about to pull the trigger on a used 2015 Skeeter ZX225 before I saw a South Carolina listing a brand new 2018 Falcon for sale. It came with a Suzuki DF200SS.

I made the 4-5 hour drive and picked the boat up. The transaction was not smooth, but I won't go over that here. Regardless, today I was finally able to reach the 4th hour of break-in, allowing me to run it WOT for short bursts. Splitting this into boat section and motor section.

Boat Pros
    -Very stable and dry ride. Granted, I'm coming from a 32 year old boat, but the light chop today that would normally bounce my 375v didn't affect the Falcon at all. I did not get wet, including during take off and slow down.

-Wide fishing platform. I'm sure at this point all bass boats are stable, but the Falcon 195 does seem to have a wider deck than other 19 footers. I'm able to lay 5 rods flat on each side of the foot pedal. If you stack rods you can add a ton more. This is really nice, my 375v could barely fit 3 stacked on each side.

-Good layout and storage. This is personal preference, and I did a lot of research so I knew what I was going into. But the single console layout is excellent. I didn't think the way the rod compartments opened was a big deal, but after multiple days on the water I really appreciated I could sit at the deck step/cooler and operate everyhing within an arms reach. Retrieving this isn't a chore anymore. The day box is nice and i think every boat needs to have one. The modular transom lid is a HUGE deal. Again, didn't think I would care that much, but checking battery charge, flipping battery switches, rigging, it's all so much easier. Deck step cooler is nice. Compartments have good space. I can fit all 18 of my combos easily on the port rod locker provided I take out the rod tubes and rack. 8 foot rods are no issue at all.

-Great standard features. Pretty much this had all the standard features I wanted, without stuff I didn't care about. I got the base model and it came a remote drain plug, retractable rod buckles, carpeted center storage, hot foot etc. That the base model has these features is a great pro.

-Ease of bow rigging. The bow panel comes off easily and you can access all the wiring/trolling motor bolts without issue. The transom rigging is pretty good too. I think Nitro has it beat in this regard, but I have no complaints.

Boat Cons:
    -Very slight gel coat imperfections. I could only find 3 spots and they are hard to see. When I say imperfection I don't mean gouges or bumps, just that it seems there's some tiny black smudges that got between the gelcoat and metal flake, if that makes sense. It doesn't bother me since it's very hard to notice. But I suppose if you're a super stickler it's worth mentioning.

-During takeoff the boat leans starboard. TBH i'm not quite sure if this is a true con, since I weigh 230lbs, and I have my heavy ass cranking battery on that side too. Also add on to the fact that' it's a single console. Once I plane out it stops leaning, so I chalk this as a minor issue.

-More backwash than I expected. Again, not sure if this is a true con, since I'm just getting used to the boat, but the first couple times I took it out I slowed down then feathered the throttle. I still got back wash onto my stern compartment. Today it wasn't as bad as I figured out how much throttle to give after coming off.

Motor Pros
    -Well....almost everything. I literally jumped 32 years in outboard technology. It's like going from a 1987 Ford Bronco to a Cadillac Escalade.

-They say 4 strokes don't have as much low-mid range torque. They also say Suzukis are a little slow. That may be the case, but I didn't feel any of that. I'm able to get to the required rpms quickly and smoothly. Hole shot is excellent. Granted I'm running a 4 blade.

-Quiet purr like idle. Very impressed with how quiet and smooth the motor sounds. My 1987 2 stroke was loud.

-C10 gauges. The boat came with 2, which is awesome. These are NMEA 2000 gauges that show all the information you need. They're almost perfect. Easy to read LCD screen and bright. Good customization

-Ease of standard maintenance. Oil changes are a breeze. Doesn't fling oil everywhere. Fuel filter easy to access. User manual with good detailed instructions

Motor Cons:
    -Annoying how every time I turn on the motor it asks me if I added fuel. The tank isn't rigged with a sending unit, rather all the fuel consumption is calculated at the motor side. This is more accurate than a sending unit (honestly it's pretty cool), however you have to manually input how much you added every time you fill up. This is assuming you calibrated (which I have not). the C10 has the capability to read off a sending unit, but I guess my boat wasn't rigged up with one. (Wasn't in the options)

-I had voltage issues twice. Once was during the first two hours. I knew it was a voltage issue because my fish finder went haywire and the motor gave me 3 beeps and stalled. I just reset the power and turned everything back on. The second time was today, I got a low voltage warning. However, my cranking battery is a good brand (x2power) and it's brand new. I also charged it the previous day. Finally, after the warning the voltage reading was excellent. Subsequent starts gave me no issues. I might have turned on my fish finder at the same time. Wonder if that caused a voltage drop. I also heard that Suzukis don't recommend AGMs. It happens very infrequently, and the motor starts reliably after each incident. If it gives me more issues I'll switch to lead acid or lithium.

All in all I'm impressed with the boat. All I ever wanted was a brand new bass boat and this one so far is living up to the hype.

2. Member
    Do you have the two digital Suzuki gauges? Did you follow the break-in procedure by the book or other break-in suggestions?

3. Member
    Yes I have two digital Suzuki C10 gauges.

As far as break in, I followed the manual because of warranty considerations. During purchase I signed a form saying I would follow break-in procedures. I think it was for warranty. However, I wouldn't baby it either. I would vary rpms up until the limit stated by the manual. Once I completed the 3rd hour I would open her up for short bursts and alternate between WOT and cruising speed.

4. Member

5. Member
    Nice write up.

6. Member
    Are you satisfied with the 195, or do you wish you had it to do over and went with the bigger 205/215 version?

7. Member
    I'm pretty satisfied with the 195. It has plenty of storage for all my gear (actually my rear compartments are sitting empty right now, though i might fill them later). The front deck space is plenty big for 2, maybe even 3 anglers (if you're not big like me). The ride is good. Speed I'm still playing with props, but I hear mid to high 60s is attainable. That's plenty fast for me. I just see no significant advantage of a bigger boat right now.