Temperture compensation?

Can any one tell me if Mercury in recent years has added Temp correction to their alternators to prevent overheating damage. The reason I ask this is because of all the stealth type chargers, guys are using and the potential of cooking a alternator. This is just one of several reason I am dead set against using these types of chargers
    I do like to know my facts are straight though

Thank You
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to reference a specific engine's alternator (far too many of them out there). That being said, in general the answer to your question is NO. The engine is equipped with overload protection in the form of a Fusible Link.

The alternator on current (and previous) outboards was designed and spec'ed for the purpose of: "Maintaining the Fully Charged State of ONE Properly (for the application) Rated, Fully-Charged Cranking Battery".

Anything that varies from the above may potentially cause problems. Yes- some are doing it without problems, and some have had problems too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor