Bad day for my SHO

2009 250 SHO, 2012 powerhead, about 240 hrs on powerhead. Was running around 5000 rpms. Running fine. Heard a thump ( like metal) & it shuts down. Starts back up and idles fine. put it in gear, idled couple 100 feet. So tried to give it a little gas, OK. Tried a little more ( maybe 1500 rpm). Same thing, shut down. Not far from ramp so just used trolling motor. While sitting there tried to restart. Turned over like the started was dragging or a almost dead battery. So loaded up, came home. Hour or two later, turned it over & it makes one hellacous noise that would scare the hell out of you just walking by. Sounds almost like a starter or flywheel are going to pieces. Will take the cowl off tomorrow. I took it off at the ramp after I loaded up but couldn't see anything wrong. Taking it to the doctor next week. Doesn't sound good.

2. Member
    I'd start by dropping the gearcase to see if that frees it up. A gear failure is possible.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

Got word from the dealer today, gear case locked up. Bad seal, cracked housing. Talk about rare parts, SHO gear case is like finding a needle in a haystack.

4. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    you might try hydro-tec marine
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Got word from the dealer today, gear case locked up. Bad seal, cracked housing. Talk about rare parts, SHO gear case is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Thanks Stroker, had thought about them. Actually got one from a friend that blew his SHO (250 like mine) for $1500 plus new water pump, & installed with fluid. Thought that was a pretty good deal. Now I need to see about rebuilding my old one. Might keep it as a spare since these are as hard to find as chicken lips, LOL.
    Thanks again

6. Member
    Recall on all '09 powerheads, Yamaha will replace it for free.

John

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    Recall on all '09 powerheads, Yamaha will replace it for free.

John
    Looks like the power head was already replaced:

2009 250 SHO, 2012 powerhead, about 240 hrs on powerhead
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

BTW, it was a locked up lower unit. Had the motor checked, changed oil, thermostats, etc. Everything looked good. Yes the Powerhead was replaced in 2012 at 223 hrs. There were no problems with the motor at that time, just having it serviced. Dealer got it replaced while it was there. Guy came in with a blown G2 (250) on a 921 Phenoix. Know how that feels. Fortunately his is still under warranty.