Was removing Forrest Wood Cup a dig ?

For the record I am a huge Vexus fan. Saw the boats at the Classic and if I had the money I would already have a VX on order.

I don’t post much but I’m a big follower of the undertones in the multiple trails from a business stance. The market structure and the players involved can be a very small world in almost every industry. That being said I thought it was odd that Johnny Morris/ White River got rid of the Forrest Wood Cup in the recent acquisition of FLW. I almost see this as a dig at Vexus considering White River now owns the Ranger brand a previous Forrest Wood owned company. Seems like this was the first real opportunity for them to Eliminate the “free” marketing for what is now a competitor.

Probably smart business but the bottom line is White River builds production boats and can sacrifice quality for quantity and still be profitable. There’s just something to be said for building a quality product.

You can buy cheap tools at Harbor Freight but 2 out of the 10 are going to be crapp. Make your own decisions, but personally I’d rather wait have the best available.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thndrchkn View Post
    ...I almost see this as a dig at Vexus considering White River now owns the Ranger brand a previous Forrest Wood owned company. Seems like this was the first real opportunity for them to Eliminate the “free” marketing for what is now a competitor.
    Although Forrest Wood may have had an association and family members in high management with Ranger, he hadn't owned the company in a very long time … like since 1987. Most recently, Ranger was owned by Genmar (1991) and by Platinum Equity (2009 resulting from Genmar's bankruptcy). and currently by White River Marine Group. So I don't see the Forest Wood Cup going away with the FLW acquisition by MLF being a personal dig. MLF has their championship. Just sayin

3. Member
    mlf isn't owned by JM????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

FLW had already transitioned FLW to be Fishing League Worldwide when the original meaning of FLW was Forrest L. Wood, plus it used to be called the Forrest Wood Cup and they had changed it to the FLW Cup in recent years. All of that was prior to the announcement yesterday.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thndrchkn View Post
    For the record I am a huge Vexus fan. Saw the boats at the Classic and if I had the money I would already have a VX on order.

I don’t post much but I’m a big follower of the undertones in the multiple trails from a business stance. The market structure and the players involved can be a very small world in almost every industry. That being said I thought it was odd that Johnny Morris/ White River got rid of the Forrest Wood Cup in the recent acquisition of FLW. I almost see this as a dig at Vexus considering White River now owns the Ranger brand a previous Forrest Wood owned company. Seems like this was the first real opportunity for them to Eliminate the “free” marketing for what is now a competitor.

Probably smart business but the bottom line is White River builds production boats and can sacrifice quality for quantity and still be profitable. There’s just something to be said for building a quality product.

You can buy cheap tools at Harbor Freight but 2 out of the 10 are going to be crapp. Make your own decisions, but personally I’d rather wait have the best available.
    For the record, Harbor Freight tools have a lifetime warranty, just like Craftsman at a fraction of the price.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    For the record, Harbor Freight tools have a lifetime warranty, just like Craftsman at a fraction of the price.
    I second that. My last 1/2” socket set by Quinn, SAE wrench set and 1/2” extendable ratchet by Pittsburgh all had a lifetime warranty and were made as well as the Craftsman tools I bought in the 1970s. Must agree though that Harbor Freight has some cheap stuff, but some that will hold up as well.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

7. Member
    There normal wrenches don't hold up to everyday use but there rachet wrenches do pretty well along with ball joint sepetator kits is high quality

8. Member
    I love my new Ranger-quality is great. Thanks White River Marine! You did a great job with it!

VEXUS page. Nobody cares about WRM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    mlf isn't owned by JM????
    This is kinda a big point. JM is just a sponsor of MLF, not an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by tghtlines View Post
    VEXUS page. Nobody cares about WRM.
    Get off my lawn!!
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

12. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

13. Member
    Got to love that picture. If for no other reason, how long they have been married

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosterfence View Post
    Got to love that picture. If for no other reason, how long they have been married
    And they are very “real” folks,very humble and treat everyone like a friend. I’ve met them both several times,good folks.

To me, that is all that needs to be said is that picture. It speaks for itself.

Cliff Bradford
    2014 Ranger Z520C Mercury 250ProXS

This board needs a like button. Because I like that pic and the following comments

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Although Forrest Wood may have had an association and family members in high management with Ranger, he hadn't owned the company in a very long time … like since 1987. Most recently, Ranger was owned by Genmar (1991) and by Platinum Equity (2009 resulting from Genmar's bankruptcy). and currently by White River Marine Group. So I don't see the Forest Wood Cup going away with the FLW acquisition by MLF being a personal dig. MLF has their championship. Just sayin
    Good point

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
    I love my new Ranger-quality is great. Thanks White River Marine! You did a great job with it!
    X2! Hail the Brotherhood, and H2E!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...