SHO water in oil (milky)

2016 Z520C w/ SHO (4/15 on the sticker) garage kept (under a cover and on rubber floor mats) meticulously maintained by me. Never has had any issue, not even the "making oil" one. This is my second Ranger/SHO (2011 first, 2016 now both bought new) so I'm familiar with them. I check the oil pretty regularly, last time was about two months ago (it was fine, clean and right between the two hash marks just like always). I only used the boat once since then which was two weekends ago. It ran fine, never gave any indication of an issue, no alarms, temp was the usual 120 - 138ish (interface cable w/ Lowrance) or so.

I pulled the dipstick yesterday and the oil level was way up on it and milky (not clean oil). Took off the oil fill cap and it's full off coffee colored muck. From 24 years as an auto tech this immediately says head gasket, intake gasket/crack something along those lines to me. I'm so sad and also worried about what happened and what the fix will be. We all hear about the "making oil' thing, this is not that, its milky, haven't really heard of this issue with them. It has 187 hours on it now.

I do have an appointment to drop off at the dealer so we'll see.
    Last edited by RdRngR; 10-11-2019 at 08:36 AM.

I agree with you that its a problem. My first thought is a crack in the head or maybe even the block. I have heard of a couple of instances of this happening. I know its not what you want to hear and neither would I
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. bullyfish
    These motors are junk so sad

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    These motors are junk so sad
    And your expert opinion is based on????

5. Member
    Im thinking about repowering my boat, and these posts keep me up at night!!!

6. Member
    I’m assuming under warranty so you should be okay but if not call Yamaha and demand a new power head! My brother had the same thing happen this past spring on his 2011 200 SHO with around 130 hours on the motor and way out of warranty. They replaced his no cost to him. No way you should ever have water in your crankcase except for abuse or defect.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Member
    I also had this problem 2016 250 SHO with 130hrs.

White smoke at startup and trace amounts of milky coffee on the bottom of the oil fill cap.

Since I only had trace amounts of water Yamaha had the dealer run this test.
    Drain oil (leave plug out) then run the hose hook. Water started dripping from the oil plug drain.

Dealer couldnt tell me what exactly failed.

New powerhead under warranty.

Edit:
    Disclaimer, I explained the test so you could talk to the dealer about it. Do not drain oil. Leave troubleshooting to the dealer as this will most likely end up as some kind of warranty claim.
    Last edited by friogatto; 10-18-2019 at 02:45 PM.

^^^Thanks they have it, waiting to hear back.

Well my worst fear confirmed:
    "no problem found".

Did you see the oil level and condition, its milky and way overfull?

"Yes we drained the oil, way overfull and milky, 100% agreed"

"We need to start from scratch per Yamaha so changed the oil and filter, next compression test, all good there"

"Saw this hundreds of times, condensation, per Yamaha, need to replace the tstats with the new ones, you'll now see temps of 160ish instead of the temps you've been seeing for the last 8 years (two different Sho's) of 138-140ish".

"Ran it in the tank, no problem found you can come pick it up we have the bill ready for you, $560.00"

What that's for: "well, oil change new tstats, new spark plugs and the 3 hours in the tank idling. plus the labor for comp test"

So you turned in to Yamaha? "Why isn't this a warranty issue?
    "no, no problem found so cant turn in to Yamaha"

So what am I being charged for?

"The work we described"

but no one called me to get any authorization for this work, why did you do it, spark plugs will not cause a water in oil situation and you confirmed water oil mix?
    "we know that but we had to start from scratch per Yamaha"

Again, have you worked with Yamaha, did they advise of the troubleshooting process, are they aware of whats going on?

Did you turn in anything to Yamaha, you said per Yamaha this is the troubleshooting process? Shouldn't an issue like this be a warranty concern?

"no because no problem found"

but you said you saw the water in oil mix

"yes we did, for sure" "I'll try to give you a discount, you can come get it"

I like to think I know what I'm talking about but "yes water in oil, way high on the dipstick" and yes, "oil fill cap packed with that tan colored muck" (per them) means something isn't right.

I know there are some techs here, I've never heard of "new thermostats for condensation" and "now you will see temps around 160 warmed up" is that right?

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Sorry to read this. I know I would put this in email form before you lay and pick it up....it’s the lawyer in me. Then I’d call Yamaha myself and ask if you should run this motor or take it somewhere else. If they say run it....if there’s something wrong you will know very soon since this happened during one trip so you should have an answer rather quickly, dint run too far from the dock!

Good Luck, just document as much as you can in writing so Yamaha or the Marina can’t try to put this back on you!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

yup, I think one trip on the lake and I'm right back back where I started from, that is my next step. First though I've got to pick it up and try to get out with their so called "discount". Clearly will be a battle.

12. Member
    You should call Yamaha and I would no way pay for any work I did not authorize.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanatictcg View Post
    You should call Yamaha and I would no way pay for any work I did not authorize.
    Yes, that should be your next step! If water got into your crank case parts are already rusted and it's only a matter of time until the engine fails. Call Yamaha.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA