Fishing question

As the water cools in the fall do the banks the sun warms first still play as much of a role as they do in the spring of the year?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

They definitely do on warm days after it's been cold, though I think that applies more to later fall into winter. Rocks, clay, and stained water all help as well. If the water is just cooling down, sometimes you want to chase cooler water to find the more aggressive fish that are feeding up for winter, so I think it's important to remember that it's all relative.

I'm sure you're on top of it, but it's counterintuitive and something I never really was consciously aware of until I moved to the Northland and experienced the unending wait for lakes to open up in the spring: the banks on the north side of the lake are almost always the warmest since they receive the sun from the south and are shielded from the cold north wind. Fishing the north side of lakes during the late fall and early spring is almost always a good idea, and winter too I suppose if you're lucky enough to be in a place where the lakes stay liquid all year.

This is getting off topic a bit, but I'm already started so what the heck. You can also use that to your advantage if you're on a spawn bite. They'll move up and start spawning first on the north banks, which can be helpful. The more helpful aspect of that is sort of the flip side of it: when everyone says "they're done," go look for spawners on the southern end of a lake. Or if you hate fishing for spawners and that's what everyone is doing, you can often find fat, aggressive pre-spawners on the south side. Even on small lakes here in MN, it's really common for there to be a 5 degree or even more difference between the north side and south side of the lake all the way through the spring. I recall once being on Lake Minnetonka, which is admittedly a pretty big lake, and seeing an 11 degree difference between the "mouth" of a clear water bay (where it opens into the main lake) on the south end of the lake and the north bank of a stained water bay on the north side of the lake within about a half hour span. Obviously extreme, but it makes a big difference!

EDIT note: Probably also worth mentioning that this effect is a lot more muted in rivers and reservoirs that have appreciable amounts of current flowing through, though even then it applies with respect to backwater areas! Another thing to consider is the influence of water entering the body of water you're fishing...having grown up in WV that meant that streams (which all come from higher elevations) would almost always be bringing in colder water. Obviously that's far from universal, and sometimes - particularly after a warm rain in the fall, winter, or spring - that water flowing in can be warmer and concentrate fish like crazy. Or in the summer, if the water flowing in is cooler, that can have the same effect for fish looking for some relief from the heat.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 10-10-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I like windy banks in the fall, more so than any other time of year. I'm not as concerned with the sun as I am in the spring. Windy banks and moving baits are a great combo in the fall.

Thanks for sharing the info gentlemen. I've never looked for cooler water in the late summer fall transition, this puts a different spin on things. Now I'm wonder if the same areas that warm first in spring cool first in the fall?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

5. Member
    I agree, fish the wind.

Last night I was on a lake and where I typically catch them was the protected end.... nothing. I hit a couple more spots and until I got to the windblown end. It was 2 degree's colder than the protected end and it was night and day. First cast caught one on a topwater and they were BLASTING it. Caught quite a few in the next 45 minutes until it was pitch black. If I would have gone there sooner, I would have had an amazing night.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    I agree, fish the wind.

Last night I was on a lake and where I typically catch them was the protected end.... nothing. I hit a couple more spots and until I got to the windblown end. It was 2 degree's colder than the protected end and it was night and day. First cast caught one on a topwater and they were BLASTING it. Caught quite a few in the next 45 minutes until it was pitch black. If I would have gone there sooner, I would have had an amazing night.
    DAMN...I wish I could have gone with you. Did you and Dad have a good day? sounds like it.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I like windy banks in the fall, more so than any other time of year. I'm not as concerned with the sun as I am in the spring. Windy banks and moving baits are a great combo in the fall.
    This, esp on shad/herring lakes in the fall...find the wind, find the bait, and you'll find the bass.

8. Member
    Yep, fish the wind, and if it happens to be the bank the sun shines on, all the better.

As far as do the same banks that warm first in the spring usually cool first in the fall goes. A lot depends on water depth, but generally I find that the banks that warm earlier in the spring, stay warmer in the fall. The sun is in the same position relative to the earth at those times of year, and the its intensity is about the same. The sun is what warms them in the spring, so it stands to reason that it's going to keep it warmer in the fall.