What’s my best option?

Hi all, thanks to the great advice you guys provided a few months back, I’m going to be ordering a new boat in the spring. The problem I’m having is that the boat would be stored in the water from April to October. Luckily I stumbled across the issues with blistering when I did, I was completely ignorant to it a couple of weeks ago. I figure the best options in my situation would be to buy a lift, to go aluminum, or to apply some kind of barrier to the bottom of a glass. Well, I had my heart set on glass, and the price of the lift would have to be taken out of the price of the boat, so I’m wondering mostly about barrier coating. I’ve read a lot of great things about gorilla hulls, but I’m up in Canada (Toronto area) and I don’t see any local options for something similar. Are there other coatings that I could apply to prevent blistering? How much performance would I lose by painting the whole bottom? Or should I just go with a lift or a tin? Thanks!

Bottom paint is not a cure all and the Gorilla hull will not stop barnacles or scum from growing on it. It needs to be re-applied everyother year but it does prevent crap from growing on the hull. I have never seen a high performance hull with bottom paint so I couldn't confirm any performance loss or gains. Leaving a boat on a lift or in the water presents all sorts of other maintenance issues as opposed to a dry garage space, not to mention the bugs. Been there, done that with a 30 plus footer. Way too much maintenance for the fun factor.

The lift offers the better solution and would pay for itself over several years of bottom painting but is not without its pros & cons. The boat is still on the water and subject to bad gas from the local on water pumps.

I would consider a salt water flats or bay style boat such as the Blazer Bay 675 Ultimate Bay or a Sterling 200 XS. These boats are better suited to life left on the water and are design built with this lifestyle in mind as opposed to a bass boat. Bass boats are design built to live on a trailer. I owned 3 different saltwater rigs and I would seriously consider something along these lines if he has to be glass, otherwise I would be all over an Alumacraft 205 Competitor or the like.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

3. Member
    No way, no how would I leave a glass bass boat in the water, period. In fact I would not put mine on lift either. If you decide to go ahead, I would buy a used boat, very used.

4. Member
    If I lived on a lake and had access to a lift I would buy aluminum. I would not leave a glass boat on the water for extended periods of time.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    If I lived on a lake and had access to a lift I would buy aluminum. I would not leave a glass boat on the water for extended periods of time.
    OP considering leaving it in the water. Says he can't afford a lift? I wouldn't let a new aluminum boat set in the water for months at a time either.

6. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I understand why glass boats shouldn’t be left in the water for extended periods of time, but what’s the problem with them being on lift? How would that be different than keeping it on a trailer at the marina (the alternative).

7. Member
    What about gatorback bunk covers? Or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbamenes View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I understand why glass boats shouldn’t be left in the water for extended periods of time, but what’s the problem with them being on lift? How would that be different than keeping it on a trailer at the marina (the alternative).
    SUN, MOLD AND MILDEW!

We kept our runabout on a shore station all summer long and the bottom painted cruiser stayed in the water till fall. It seemed they got more dirty sitting all week than in the 2-4 day weekends we used them. Its just more maintenance due to the added wear and tear of being in elements.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

9. Banned
    People leave fiberglass boats in the water all the time... Cruiser, houseboat, cabin cruisers, runabouts... You just have to accept you'll be cleaning the hull a lot... A covered lift and a boat cover would be the way to go, but it sounds like that might be out of your budget... Maybe keeping it in dry storage close to the lake???... Dan