Metanium mgl vs chronarch mgl

I have a few metanium mgl and love em but if could go to chronarch mgl and save a few dollars on moving bait reels I would. Been trying to find a used one to buy and try but havent found a great deal on a lefty so posting instead to get some insight. Thank you in advance
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Banned
    2 different reels. Metanium is magnesium, and Chronarch is composite. I refuse to use a plastic type framed reel, but thats just me. I would stick with the Metanium if you are looking at higher end Shimano reels. You could even look into the Bantam MGL as they are full aluminum construction with brass gearing. A bit heavier than the latter, but a really solid build.

3. Member
    I have both to me the chronarch mgl is just as good as my metainium mgl. I read a few post on tt and here that guys say that the chronarch felt geary but I've owned 2 and both were possibly the smoothest reels I've ever owned and i have 2 bantam mgls a steez a metainium mgl and alphas. So if it were my $$ id pick a chronarch mgl every time. Plus i like brass gears

I would take the Metanium MGL and add brass gears, or get a Bantam MGL.

5. Member
    The Met MGL's emit more vibration through the reel and for this reason they are on every bottom bouncing rig I own. for moving baits I don't like them. I use old Chronarch CI4's and Revo Premiers. I sure I'd like both the Bantam and Chronarch MGL's if I had need for more moving bait reels
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

6. Member
    I personally love the Chronarch MGL. Dare I even say, my favorite platform ever. I had two Metanium MGL's, and then I ordered two of the Chronarch MGL's when they first released. After 2-3 months of fishing both, I sold my Metanium's and bought two more Chronarch's.

Like other have mentioned, the Bantam is an amazing reel as well. I own two of those as well.

If you are looking for a solid, reliable reel for casting moving baits, the Scorpion MGL is a phenomenal reel that shouldn't be overlooked. Mine is my dedicated buzzbait reel. Only downside is that you have to order them from Japan, which isn't a big deal these days.

7. Member
    I have multiple of both. I prefer the Chronarch, even if they were the same price.
    2023 Puma STS

8. Member
    Anyone know great place to buy chronarch at discount or used?
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

9. Member
    I don’t have either of these reels but do have their predecessors. My opinion when I first got the Chronarch was that is was definitely a good alternative as it performed just as well as the metanium. The more I used both, the more I could see why a metanium was worth the extra money.

My Chronarch needs a new side plate because the screws stripped out the frame and the Metanium is more rigid.

My opinion is you’ll be happy with a Chronarch if saving a bit of coin is the end result. But the metanium has its advantages.

10. Member
    Both great (I only have Metanium DC, but it's rock solid). Chronarch very smooth. You'll be happy either way. I've learned...just buy the more expensive one, because you'll wind up buying them both if not lol.

I have four Metanium MGls and eight Chronarch MGLs and prefer the Chronarch - lighter and feels better in hand to me. I torture tested one on my frog rod this year and it passed with flying colors. The only thing I don't use it for is cranking where I need a size 200 spool.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100