How to use the livewell?

I want to know how the livewell.

To keep fish and to keep it empty.

I thought all I had to do was turn the dial to recirculate and it'll keep water out but the other day, my livewell was about 1/3 full, whereas it was empty when I started the day. Reason I know this is bc I keep my bumpers and wet rope in the livewell. Turned the dial to empty and I didn't see the water empty out.

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Hmmm, it seems recirc and empty settings, there shouldn't be any water in the livewell.

Like I said, livewell was empty. Backed boat into water. Pulled away dock and was going to place my fenders in there and was like wtf.

How do I use the pump out feature? I assume this means sucking water out of the livewell.

4. Member
    I always get water in the livewell when the dial is set to empty, recirc and auto should close the valve

5. Member
    When the boat is backed in, you are forcing water thru the valve into the live well. $.02

6. Member
    backing up forces water in on empty, keep in in recirc and it will stay the dries possible (not dusty dry just almost no liquid in it)
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    backing up forces water in on empty, keep in in recirc and it will stay the dries possible (not dusty dry just almost no liquid in it)
    Funny flow rite says it right there it won't allow water in, with empty setting.

I wonder if the dial got bumped a bit from recirc allowing water to enter when I backed in. Even though they claim it won't lol.

What about the pump out feature? How do I utilize it?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Funny flow rite says it right there it won't allow water in, with empty setting.

I wonder if the dial got bumped a bit from recirc allowing water to enter when I backed in. Even though they claim it won't lol.

Put the dial on empty and turn on the livewell pump switch.

9. Member
    You have to plug the overflow hole up. Even with the correct settings on the Flow-Rite valve if water gets up on the back transom (which it will) the water goes into the livewell.
    Mine stays perfectly dry.

I have to plug my over flows as well, I also plug the pump out holes. Other than that my wells are dry. But if I put the motor in reverse it pushes water in the over flow. Not the same boat but same issues
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post

mine has another dial for pump out? does yours? some boat have a nozzle in live well that moves for pump out? or you don't have a pump out set up also a possibility?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    mine has another dial for pump out? does yours? some boat have a nozzle in live well that moves for pump out? or you don't have a pump out set up also a possibility?
    I do not know. I don't use my livewell as a livewell.

On my old boat. I had a plug that I was use to plug the livewell, then fill it with the switch on. Then when I want to drain it, I just remove the plug. I used it once in 7 years lol. That livewell was at the front deck, so I never had water in there except for when it rained.

This is what the livewell looks like and what they advertise.

This is what the switches look like at the dash.

13. Member
    Boat noobie that red fitting pulls in and out to fill or not to fill

14. Member
    james called it! the red spout moves or slides in or out to control pump out it or fill
    MAGA

15. Member
    Do I have to flip the switch at the dash to activate the pump out? Or just mess with that red nozzle and that's it?

16. Member
    Still have to turn the switch on to pump red spout just closes or opens to let water come in

17. Member
    Move the Flowrite lever to empty, turn on the aereator pump, push the red nozzle in the livewell in and it pumps water out. That's how mine works. I have found my flowrite valve does not hold 100%, my livewell does not stay dry. You might try moving the lever a little one way or the other to see if it holds any better.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex