Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 Etec G2 225 HO Runs Rough

Newbie here and first post looking for some insight. I have a 2018 Etec G2 225 HO model E225LHGAF on a 2018 Ranger Z519. Motor ran fine all day last Saturday and never missed a beat. At the end of the day I went to fire up the motor and head back to the ramp and the motor wouldn't start. Engine turned over fine but wouldn't fire. After several attempts the motor fired and ran rough. Rpms bounced all over the place revving up and down and would not settle down. I shut the motor off and let it sit for several minutes and tried again but the motor wouldn't start. 3/4 of a tank of fuel running 2+4 additive using 87 octane fuel running XD100 oil reservoir full. Needless to say I had to be towed back. Engine has 19 hours and no codes showing on the Icon gauge. The closest certified dealer is over 300 miles away and I'm taking it to them Friday. They have a 4 to 5 week backlog which I understand. I'm curious and concerned about what to expect. I haven't found anything searching the forum. I appreciate any insight.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What comes to mind for me is a fuel issue. It could be an injector failure, but an issue that is less obvious is a failed gasket on the fuel filter. Of course, you will be covered by warranty, but it’s a shame that the dealer can’t work you in for at least diagnostic testing. The fuel filter problem is caused by the plastic housing [that the filter screws onto] warping, and the filter gasket subsequently pushing outward through a gap. This allows fuel to leak, and air to enter the system, so you’ll definitely get all kinds of rpm fluctuations as well as potential failures to start. You can examine the filter yourself, easily. If the seating gap at the top of the filter is consistent all the way around, and no obvious signs of fuel leakage, that’s not your problem. If the gasket gap is higher in one place than another, that’s not good, and the bracket needs replacing, as well as the filter cartridge.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Thanks for the response sir. I will definitely check that tonight. I did take the covers off when I got home last Saturday expecting to find oil or fluid of some sort misted all over the engine but all was clean. I looked at the fuel filter but didn't pass my hands around the seal mating surface. I also had the issue with my ignition switch that has been discussed before in the threads. I replaced the ignition switch and that worked perfect. Strange this issue started after I replaced the switch. Appreciate the wisdom!

4. Member
    Check for water in the fuel. I have had a 250HO G2 with substantial water in fuel and the probe did not send a code to the display.

5. Member
    As mentioned I checked the fuel filter and found no seat issue or bulge/gap. All of that looks good. What is the best way to check the fuel for water? Draw some out of the tank and see if there's separation in the fuel? Heading out in the morning for a long haul to Rockwall Marine. I sure hate to leave her there but based on reviews I think she'll be in good hands. They are a Evinrude platinum dealer according to BRP. Definitely appreciate all the knowledge and wisdom shared.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Yes sir...in a glass jar....let it settle for a bit and look for water in the bottom.

7. Member
    Thought I would provide an update. After a couple of weeks at the shop I finally recieved a call with an update. The mechanic first called while he was actually running diagnostics on the boat. He said there was only one code and it was at hour zero when the boat was rigged and the motor was fired. He said it had to do with fuel pressure on inital start up which he said was common. He also said the emm had an update needed which he performed. The motor fired up and ran just fine. He tested each injector, coil, fuel pressure, and water psi all normal. He wanted to continue running the motor for a few days to make sure there wasn't a heat soak issue since the issue occurred at the end of the day after running all day. Fast forward another week and the dealer calls and says we changed the plugs as they were fouled and several had what he called the pads burned away causing them to have a greater gap than specifications required. They did say Evinrude is on their 4th version of plugs for this motor. They also said they have been unable to duplicate the issue I was having even after running it daily but they did not want me to drive almost 6 hours one way to get the boat and bring it home to have the same issue. I am very grateful for them being considerate enough to worry about my time. They are going to check a few other items before they tell me to come get her.

Good luck and hope you get her back running.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

The plug problem is Champion's. They improved their welding techniques to keep the pads attached to the ground electrodes and the newer plugs have the letter A at the end, after the letter I.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    My mechanic suggested NGK plugs last year, and I have put more than 100 hours on them with no sign of fouling or rough running. When I complimented him on his advice this summer, he did say that the latest Champion [IA] has been working much better for G2 owners than the previous [I] plugs had. I have never had a spark plug issue cause an outboard engine not to start at all, however. If I were you I’d have them drain the fuel system completely and start over. That dealer is platinum certified and I am not [far from it], but I’ve never heard of heat soak being a “thing” with that engine.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    Thanks for the additional information as it is much appreciated. With regards to heat soak they just wanted to double check every option to make sure they didn't miss something outside the norm. They did mention the new IA plugs but I will keep the NGK info and dang sure appreciate it. I did ask about fuel contamination and they said they haven't found any but your recommendation to completely drain and start over is a great idea. I'll call them Monday and ask them to do just that even if that is not covered by warranty I'd sure like the piece of mind. Thank You to everyone for your wisdom!

the NGK plugs could cause preignition or detonation in the cylinders in certain cases according to the factory.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

13. Member
    Well the problem has returned and now I have code 211 on the icon gauge and no steering assist. Used the trolling motor to load up the boat and have oil running out of the prop and some on the skeg. Guess I'll call again tomorrow to get it in the shop and then get rid of this headache when it's fixed. Yesterday was the fourth time out since it was last in the shop.

14. Member
    211 code is for the power steering issue only it looks like. might be p/s fluid leaking down the lower unit? good luck
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txsranger View Post
    Newbie here and first post looking for some insight. I have a 2018 Etec G2 225 HO model E225LHGAF on a 2018 Ranger Z519. Motor ran fine all day last Saturday and never missed a beat. At the end of the day I went to fire up the motor and head back to the ramp and the motor wouldn't start. Engine turned over fine but wouldn't fire. After several attempts the motor fired and ran rough. Rpms bounced all over the place revving up and down and would not settle down. I shut the motor off and let it sit for several minutes and tried again but the motor wouldn't start. 3/4 of a tank of fuel running 2+4 additive using 87 octane fuel running XD100 oil reservoir full. Needless to say I had to be towed back. Engine has 19 hours and no codes showing on the Icon gauge. The closest certified dealer is over 300 miles away and I'm taking it to them Friday. They have a 4 to 5 week backlog which I understand. I'm curious and concerned about what to expect. I haven't found anything searching the forum. I appreciate any insight.
    The boat made it 5 hours and is now unusable again. 23 hours on the motor now. On May 9th backed down the ramp to unload and the motor ran the same way. Smoking, rpms bouncing all over the place, water churning like it was running wide open in neutral. Pulled the boat back out checked battery connections and voltage and found nothing. A few minutes later backed down to try again and the motor fired up and idled fine. Made several trips up and down the lake at 50mph plus and no issues. The final time up the lake the steering got tight and code 211 came up on the icon gauge. Ran back towards the ramp and sut the motor off to fish about an hour. Motor would not restart so I had to load using the trolling motor. I've been waiting now almost two months to get it in the shop. I will be taking it back to Rockwall Marine on July 9th. Fired up the boat here at home and got about a minute and a half video of the boat smoking, rpms all over the board. Shut it off and went to restart and it wouldn't start. It seemed to prime forever and I think it's loading up with fuel. Cranked on it a while before it finally started again smoking rpms bouncing and motor twitching like it's missing. I have lost so much fishing time since October and have lost confidence in this motor. I am concerned it could leave me stranded on a large lake which would be bad if the wind got up. Don't know whether to fix it and try to sell it or repower and take the loss there.

Based on what I have just read, it seems to me the issue has not been fixed from the beginning 10-09-2019 when you first posted this issue.
    Not sure your confidence in the engine should be rattled, just an opinion but you may want to find another dealer?
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

17. Member
    That will be my next choice. I searchex for Platinum certified dealers and there are two about the same distance away so I chose Rockwall. I've searched and haven't found anyone else reporting similar issues other than the code 211.

If there are no codes and the engine performs poorly could be fuel, could be capacitor, could be plugs, could be fuel injectors.
    Code 211 is power steering motor open circuit, most likely you have one or both steering sensors failed and the power steering motor ran until it damage the motor and most likely the DPS module too.
    When I have seen this happen the guys will tell me they heard a noise when fishing like a motor squealing but didn't know what it was.

You live in Texas, there is nothing close to anything, it would take me two days to get to Texas then it would take a week to get where I was going IN Texas....

19. Member
    I'll bring it to you if you can fix it. I truly appreciate your input and guidance!

If you want to drive to Tennessee I know a dealer that can fix it.
    But if you want to stay closer to home, look at Red Wing Boat Company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast