Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Tiptonite you have a pm.

2. Member
    Another vote for HT. Those guys know their stuff on Yamaha motors.
    Go Gators!

3. Member

4. Banned
    Ok let me throw my advice out there. As a matter of fact call me. I had the same exact thing to my 1998 yami 200hp. Carb motor. I dealt with hydro tech the whole time. Excellent company. Give me a shout and I’ll tell you what their advice was to me. Best thing i could have done. My number is 502-810-7759. Tom.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I know your wife will not want to hear this but you have 24 year old boat with a blown engine. Take your goodies off of it and sell it as is for what you can get for it.

Do not repower it with a new engine unless you expect to keep it another 20 years as you will not recoup the money spent on a new engine if you decide to sell or trade it.

Ask me how I know.
    i agree be a tough sell but if it’s a nice boat rigged well bet you can find a used motor fish on.
    J D

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    Another thought.. You might want to look for a used motor. With the new 4-stroke motors people are selling their two stroke motors. You might find a deal on a used Optimax. I purchased a new Optimax pretty cheap and put on my 2004 boat. Yes I know if I sell my boat I would lose money but I am not interested in paying $40K - $60k and up for a newer boat. My old boat does what I need it to do and I catch plenty of fish out of it. Now I have a fairly reliable motor on it.
    Thats the right attitude fish don’t care.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Ok let me throw my advice out there. As a matter of fact call me. I had the same exact thing to my 1998 yami 200hp. Carb motor. I dealt with hydro tech the whole time. Excellent company. Give me a shout and I’ll tell you what their advice was to me. Best thing i could have done. My number is 502-810-7759. Tom.
    Thanks Tom! I finally got around to calling HT today and spoke with Ben. He said Mark (or Matt maybe?) was already out for the day and he'd be the one I want to talk to about my motor. I'm PST so it's been difficult trying to reach them after work. I finally did it while I was at work today and still ended up being a little late.

Anyways, just speaking to Ben, I liked what I was hearing. It sounds like I may have a good chance of getting it rebuilt and at a reasonable price. He also said they could get another 60 or so HP out of it if I wanted. Thanks to milligjg for giving me the idea to ask about that!

Anyways, I'm going to start pulling it apart this weekend to see if there's any major internal damage as that would probably drive the cost to high for me to justify a rebuild. If that does become the case, then I think I'll be following 1Holeshot's advice and selling it for what I can get to buy something newer.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    Thats the right attitude fish don’t care.
    So true!

9. Member
    Let us know how it turns out.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiptonite View Post
    Thanks Tom! I finally got around to calling HT today and spoke with Ben. He said Mark (or Matt maybe?) was already out for the day and he'd be the one I want to talk to about my motor. I'm PST so it's been difficult trying to reach them after work. I finally did it while I was at work today and still ended up being a little late.

Anyways, just speaking to Ben, I liked what I was hearing. It sounds like I may have a good chance of getting it rebuilt and at a reasonable price. He also said they could get another 60 or so HP out of it if I wanted. Thanks to milligjg for giving me the idea to ask about that!

Anyways, I'm going to start pulling it apart this weekend to see if there's any major internal damage as that would probably drive the cost to high for me to justify a rebuild. If that does become the case, then I think I'll be following 1Holeshot's advice and selling it for what I can get to buy something newer.
    Yes, keep us posted!
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Let us know how it turns out.
    I'll definitely will, and thanks to everyone for all the great feedback!

Now to start pulling it apart and hope for the best.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiptonite View Post
    I'll definitely will, and thanks to everyone for all the great feedback!

Now to start pulling it apart and hope for the best.
    I don't recommend you take it apart. If I was to rebuild one I might want to see how much torque was left on some of the bolts and they might want to mark rods as to location and such. You have made some good posts for a lurker. Sorry about your motor.

I’d rebuild

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I don't recommend you take it apart. If I was to rebuild one I might want to see how much torque was left on some of the bolts and they might want to mark rods as to location and such. You have made some good posts for a lurker. Sorry about your motor.
    That's a good point I hadn't thought of. My intention was to see how much internal damage was done so I could get a better idea of the cost involved to rebuild. Having said that, I think I have enough information to share with the folks at HT to get an idea of the cost by just pulling the head off.

I'm certain the crank journal is shot. The rod bearings are gone, and I can see the side of the rod is burnt. I don't know if welding them up is done in marine applications like it is in automotive, and even then not all types of cranks can be welded.

The rod also dug about an 1/8" groove in the lower portions of the cylinder block, and the cylinder itself will definitely need a sleeve.

Here's some pictures of the damage.

Pro-V (17).jpg

Pro-V (13).jpg

Pro-V (29).jpg

Pro-V (37).jpg

Pro-V (51).jpg

Pro-V (52).jpg

15. Member
    Looked at the (very good) pictures. It sucks to be you. None of that will buff out.

16. TJNYSNP
    I just blew my 2002 Evinrude 225 HO. Advice i got from my mechanic/marina:

Try to stay with the same brand if you are happy with it because all the instruments and rigging connection accessories into your boat can cost an additional 3K or so and may not fit in your older boat console. So might be best you stick with a Yamaha.
    You may want to stick with the generation of Yamaha that is not current nextgen level of new ... because they are electronic and the instraments and connections are completely different for rigging in your boat.
    Try to get a used engine that has a transferrable warranty on it. I don't know if Yamaha does that but Evinrude does

Good luck!

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    From the looks of those pics....I'd be worried about the block and crank.....both are $$$ May be better to get a used engine or powerhead....

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    I just blew my 2002 Evinrude 225 HO. Advice i got from my mechanic/marina:

Try to stay with the same brand if you are happy with it because all the instruments and rigging connection accessories into your boat can cost an additional 3K or so and may not fit in your older boat console. So might be best you stick with a Yamaha.
    You may want to stick with the generation of Yamaha that is not current nextgen level of new ... because they are electronic and the instraments and connections are completely different for rigging in your boat.
    Try to get a used engine that has a transferrable warranty on it. I don't know if Yamaha does that but Evinrude does

Good luck!
    Thanks for sharing that info. Those are good points to keep in mind. I think I could do most the work fitting a different motor myself, but I at least have the winter to get this figured out.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    From the looks of those pics....I'd be worried about the block and crank.....both are $$$ May be better to get a used engine or powerhead....
    That's pretty much been my assessment too. Once I get the time to talk to the right folks at HT and let them know the damage, I should be able to get a good idea of the cost. Ben, the guy I spoke with there last week made it sound like they had those parts available so we'll see. So far I've been unable to find any place with a powerhead in stock.
    Last edited by Tiptonite; 10-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Looked at the (very good) pictures. It sucks to be you. None of that will buff out.
    Yeah... There's no buffer good enough to get those marks out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast